McClatchy DC Logo

Zahra Baker's step-mom says dad cut her up after she died | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Courts & Crime

Zahra Baker's step-mom says dad cut her up after she died

Franco Ordoñez, Gary L. Wright and Cleve R. Wootson Jr. - Charlotte Observer

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 05, 2011 12:15 PM

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Zahra Baker's stepmother told authorities the 10-year-old girl died two weeks before she was reported missing and accuses her husband of cutting up the child's body, according to new court documents released Tuesday.

The documents don't reveal how Zahra died or why her body was discarded.

Elisa Baker told authorities that Zahra died on Sept. 24, and that she and Zahra's father, Adam Baker, disposed of body parts the next day in various locations, according to the documents.

It's the first time court documents have given a date for Zahra's death. That date, however, conflicts with a furniture store manager's recollection that she saw Zahra with her stepmother on Sept. 25 in the Hickory store. She wasn't reported missing by her father until Oct. 9.

SIGN UP

GPS cell phone records also raise questions about whether Adam Baker was actually present when Zahra's body was discarded. Tracking devices place Elisa Baker's phone - but not Adam Baker's - at the locations.

No one has been charged in Zahra's death, which police have declared a homicide. But Elisa Baker remains jailed on a charge of obstructing justice after police say she admitted writing a phony ransom note to throw off the investigation into Zahra's disappearance.

More than 200 pages from some 30 search warrants were released Tuesday in response to a request for the public records by the Observer and other media. It was the second time the court released previously sealed search warrants related to the case.

Read the full story at CharlotteObserver.com

Related stories from McClatchy DC

crime

Search warrants outline Zahra Baker's grisly killing

January 04, 2011 04:51 PM

crime

Court records detail 10-year-old Zahra Baker's grisly end

November 30, 2010 05:24 PM

crime

Zahra Baker's remains scattered across county, stepmom claims

November 16, 2010 07:20 AM

crime

Police confirm remains are Zahra Baker's

November 12, 2010 12:08 PM

crime

Police in North Carolina say bone may be Zahra Baker's

November 03, 2010 07:13 PM

crime

Collector: Stepmom's letters discuss Zahra Baker's death

November 02, 2010 10:59 PM

  Comments  

Videos

How police use DNA ‘familial searches’ to probe murders

How does a crime get classified as ‘domestic terrorism’?

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

These tattoos aren't artful—they help identify Iraq's dead

October 31, 2006 03:00 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM
Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM
Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM
‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM
How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM
Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story