McClatchy DC Logo

Gag order placed on attorneys in Chandra Levy murder trial | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Courts & Crime

Gag order placed on attorneys in Chandra Levy murder trial

Michael Doyle - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

September 27, 2010 04:38 PM

WASHINGTON — A judge on Monday imposed a gag order on attorneys involved in the trial of the man accused of killing former Modesto resident Chandra Levy.

Citing the high visibility of a case that once was a tabloid sensation, District of Columbia Superior Court Judge Gerald I. Fisher directed prosecutors and defense attorneys not to discuss with reporters the trial that's now scheduled to start Oct. 18.

"I don't want what is likely to be a (high-profile) trial to have additional problems," Fisher said during a pretrial motions hearing, adding that "we won't have to worry about inappropriate information being out there in the media."

With half a dozen reporters in attendance, Fisher imposed the gag order under a D.C. rule governing "widely publicized or sensational" cases. The same Rule 53 could potentially allow Fisher to impose other special orders governing the trial.

SIGN UP

Gag orders are not unheard of but also do not appear to be particularly common in Washington's Superior Court cases, even when the underlying crimes have achieved some notoriety.

Following a private bench meeting with attorneys, Fisher also rescheduled the trial to begin Monday, Oct. 18, instead of the previously scheduled start date of Monday, Oct. 4. No further explanation was given for the two-week trial delay.

Prosecutors say Salvadoran immigrant Ingmar Guandique attempted to sexually assault Levy in Washington's Rock Creek Park and then killed her on May 1, 2001. At the time, Levy had finished her Bureau of Prisons internship and graduate studies and was reportedly planning to return to California.

Levy's disappearance attracted national notoriety following revelations that she'd been involved in a relationship with Modesto's then-congressman, Gary Condit. The scandal eventually cost Condit his House seat.

On Monday, as they have over the past several months, prosecutors and defense attorneys wrangled over what evidence might be presented in a trial that's expected to last up to five weeks. Each side had mixed success.

Prosecutors, for instance, won the right to mention during trial Guandique's claim that he was a member of the feared Salvadoran gang called MS-13. His defense attorneys said these claims would prejudice jurors against him, but Fisher agreed with prosecutors that it might be relevant information in explaining why Guandique allegedly spoke of his crimes to fellow inmates.

"He's very concerned about how the gang will view him," Assistant U.S. Attorney Amanda Haines said, adding that "he confesses to certain individuals because they are gang members."

Prosecutors say Guandique confessed to multiple inmates that he killed Levy, although the details in his confessions vary.

As part of their case, prosecutors also want to show a photograph of several Guandique tattoos, including one that Haines said "apparently has some reference to Miss Levy."

Haines agreed, though, that some details about Guandique's alleged statements to other inmates will not be presented during direct trial testimony — including the claim that Guandique was raping one of his fellow inmates while describing what he did to Levy.

"He generally likes to tie women up, cut them and sodomize them," Haines said.

One of Guandique's public defenders, Maria Hawilo, countered that "there is no direct evidence" that Levy was raped. Levy's skeletal remains were found in the woods about a year after she disappeared.

Fisher said prosecutors could not present statements in which Guandique allegedly asserted he would try to escape if detectives came to his prison cell to arrest him in the Levy case.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

crime

Lawyers prepare for center stage in Chandra Levy murder trial

September 24, 2010 05:14 PM

crime

Chandra Levy judge issues more rulings as trial nears

September 22, 2010 05:52 PM

crime

Lawyers for Chandra Levy's accused killer lose pretrial motion

September 10, 2010 05:06 PM

crime

Susan Levy asks to attend trial of daughter's accused killer

September 03, 2010 04:19 PM

crime

Lawyers for Levy's accused killer, prosecutors battle over jury pool

August 20, 2010 05:34 PM

politics-government

Man accused in Chandra Levy murder case was avid correspondent

August 02, 2010 04:42 PM

  Comments  

Videos

How police use DNA ‘familial searches’ to probe murders

How does a crime get classified as ‘domestic terrorism’?

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM
Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM
Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM
‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM
How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM
Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story