McClatchy DC Logo

Miami jeweler accused in Ponzi scheme | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Courts & Crime

Miami jeweler accused in Ponzi scheme

Laura Isensee and Enrique Flor - Miami Herald

    ORDER REPRINT →

August 09, 2010 01:10 PM

As a kid, Luis Felipe Perez cleaned bathrooms at a taco joint. By his 30s, he was a high-end jeweler, riding the streets of Hialeah in a Bentley.

He traveled with bodyguards. Donated tens of thousands of dollars to local and national politicians. And even dined at a fete for the king and queen of Spain when the royal couple visited Miami.

But his businesses, the feds say, were a sham. His jewelry companies had no employees -- and the man known simply as ``Felipito'' orchestrated a $40 million Ponzi scheme and took part in a $12 million bank fraud conspiracy, according to law enforcement authorities. Even diamonds offered as collateral to investors were fake.

Perez, already facing federal charges for the alleged pyramid scheme, was indicted last week on additional federal charges, accused of conspiring with two others in a scheme to fraudulently obtain millions of dollars in commercial lines of credit.

SIGN UP

The allegations paint a far different portrait of Felipito from the Hialeah golden boy who gave his mother his first paycheck for $60 and who was mentored by the late Rolando Blanco, a pillar of the community. With his groomed goatee and penchant for well-cut suits, Perez, 38, cut a dashing figure around town. ``In Hialeah, a person who goes around in a Bentley is not an everyday thing,'' said former Police Chief Rolando Bolaños. ``And Felipito did it with a chauffeur, bodyguards and a laptop. It was like his mobile office.''

The Securities and Exchange Commission says investors' money supported Perez's lavish lifestyle. He and his ex-wife bought a $3.2 million Mediterranean-style villa on the edge of Coral Gables, east of U.S. 1. Perez also spent $400,000 to lease luxury cars; $200,000 on vacations; $300,000 on clothes for his wife; $200,000 on extravagant dinners; and $100,000 on art, according the SEC.

In June, Perez was accused of swindling about 35 investors in a $40 million Ponzi scheme from 2006 through May 2009. He faces a civil complaint by the SEC and six federal counts of securities fraud.

He allegedly promised investors high rates of return -- up to 120 percent annually -- in exchange for investing first in his jewelry business, then in pawn shops in New York.

Read the complete story at miamiherald.com

  Comments  

Videos

How police use DNA ‘familial searches’ to probe murders

How does a crime get classified as ‘domestic terrorism’?

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Your DNA kit begins a ‘journey of discovery’ – but are results in safe hands?

December 04, 2017 05:00 AM

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM
Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM
Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM
‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM
How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM
Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story