McClatchy DC Logo

Rapist, out of prison just two months, charged with new attack | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Courts & Crime

Rapist, out of prison just two months, charged with new attack

Deanna Boyd - Fort Worth Star-Telegram

    ORDER REPRINT →

February 08, 2010 03:38 PM

FORT WORTH — A 26-year-old man who'd been released from prison just two months ago after serving three years for sexual assault was charged Monday in connection with the rape of a Fort Worth woman last month.

Joe Louis Woods is accused of forcing a 22-year-old woman into his Ford Explorer on Jan. 22, driving her to a secluded dead-end road and sexually assaulting her.

Sgt. Pedro Criado, police spokesman, said during the attack, the victim spotted some of Woods’ identification cards in his SUV’s console and took them. Based on that evidence, investigators were able to obtain an aggravated sexual assault warrant for Woods.

He was arrested Wednesday and remained in the Mansfield jail this afternoon with bail set at $250,000. Woods’ arrest came less than two months after his release from prison for a 2006 sexual assault in Forest Hill.

SIGN UP

Forest Hill police Lt. Dan Dennis said the victim in that case was a 19-year-old woman whom Woods had known about four or five months. He said the sexual assault took place in Woods’ Forest Hill residence in September 2006 and that Woods stopped the assault because the woman’s baby started crying.

Court records show Woods plead guilty in that case in November 2007 in exchange for a three-year prison sentence.

He was released Dec. 8 after completing his sentence but was required to register as a sex offender. He was currently living in southeast Fort Worth, Department of Public Safety sex offender records show.

In the most recent case, Criado said the 22-year-old victim was walking on East Davis Street when she noticed a Ford Explorer driving around the area. The woman told police the Explorer pulled up next to her and the driver offered her a ride. When she refused, she said the driver got out, grabbed her by her shirt and hair and forced her into his SUV.

She told police he then drove to her a secluded dead-end street and sexually assaulted her in the backseat, threatening her with a brick that he picked up from the ground and claiming he had a knife.

The woman told officers that after sexually assaulting her, the man told her, “I’m trying to teach girls like you a lesson for walking around in your tight clothes and thinking nothing can happen to you.”

Read the full story at star-telegram.com

  Comments  

Videos

How police use DNA ‘familial searches’ to probe murders

How does a crime get classified as ‘domestic terrorism’?

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM
Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM
Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM
‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM
How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM
Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story