McClatchy DC Logo

Six arrested in 'brazen' public murder | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Courts & Crime

Six arrested in 'brazen' public murder

Kevin Valine - Modesto Bee

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 20, 2010 08:45 AM

Six people have been arrested in the slaying of a 20-year-old man who was gunned down in his pickup truck on one of the city's busiest streets.

Police Chief Art de Werk sought to counter a perception that the homicide was a random one. He said Modesto resident Amadeo Avalos was targeted by his killers but declined to give a motive in the Jan. 11 shooting.

Officers served search warrants at three homes in Modesto and one in Ceres on Tuesday and arrested six suspects, four of whom they believe are a husband and wife and their two adult children.

Ceres police have described Avalos as a "hard-working young man" with no criminal record or gang affiliation.

SIGN UP

"This victim was targeted," de Werk said. "That may seem odd because we are describing him as a decent person."

De Werk said investigators can't say more now.

"The (district attorney's) office is really adamant that we keep the details quiet until they are ready to release them," he said. "We are still in a full investigative mode."

Police said these suspects have been arrested:

Modesto resident Primitivo Guizar, 18, on suspicion of homicide and the special circumstances of lying in wait, which is similar to an ambush

Modesto resident Enrique Valadez, 19, on suspicion of homicide and the special circumstances of lying in wait

Ceres resident Lucila Sanchez, 32, on suspicion of accessory to a felony

Modesto resident Luis Sanchez, 64, on suspicion of accessory to a felony

Modesto resident Rosa Sanchez, 54, on suspicion of accessory to a felony

Modesto resident Heliberto Sanchez, 26, on suspicion of accessory to a felony

De Werk said police believe Luis and Rosa Sanchez are married and Lucila and Heliberto Sanchez are their children.

Four of the six suspects had been booked at the jail as of early Tuesday evening. The remaining two were expected to be booked later in the evening.

Avalos was gunned down while driving his small truck east on Whitmore Avenue near Morgan Road on Jan. 11. Police received calls about gunshots at 11:08 a.m. and found Avalos slumped over in the driver's seat of a Chevrolet pickup at the southeast corner of Whitmore and Morgan.

His family could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

Read the full story at the Modesto Bee.

  Comments  

Videos

How police use DNA ‘familial searches’ to probe murders

How does a crime get classified as ‘domestic terrorism’?

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM
Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM
Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM
‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM
How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM
Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story