CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Police said Wednesday night that one of their own officers pulled over two young women in separate incidents while on duty and sexually assaulted them in his patrol car.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Rodney Monroe said "it would be naive" to believe that the officer hadn't assaulted other women. He released the officer's photo at a news conference, he said, in hopes any other potential victims would come forward.
Marcus Jackson, 25, who has been an officer in CMPD's Eastway Division since 2008, was arrested by detectives Wednesday night at police headquarters after an investigation that began Monday.
He's charged with three counts of sexual battery, second-degree sex offense, extortion, kidnapping, indecent exposure and two counts of felonious restraint.
Monroe said Jackson was "terminated, effective immediately."
"To have one of our own involved in such a despicable act is not only a violation of the public trust, but a complete dishonor to this officer and every officer that wears this badge," Monroe said. "We work very hard to gain and maintain the public's trust, and this knocks us backward."
Both of the reported incidents happened between 11 p.m. and 2 a.m. in the Eastway Division in east Charlotte.
The first was on Dec. 18. Monroe said Jackson - wearing his uniform and driving his marked patrol car - pulled over a 17-year-old girl, forced her into his car, drove to another location and committed sex acts.
A relative of the girl called police Monday night and officers began an investigation.
As detectives were collecting information, Monroe said, a 21-year-old woman reported Tuesday night that she'd been assaulted by Jackson under similar circumstances on Monday.
Monroe said Jackson didn't have any criminal record.
Said Mayor Anthony Foxx: "It is profoundly disappointing when one of our police officers engages in such heinous conduct. It obscures the fact that the vast majority of our officers are dedicated, hard-working people."
Earlier this year, former Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officers Gerald Holas and Jason Ross were each sentenced to nine years in prison for conspiring to distribute cocaine.
At the time, federal authorities said those sentences were the longest imposed on Charlotte law enforcement officers they could recall.
Comments