ANCHORAGE -- A wanted man police say might have been involved in an East Anchorage gang-related gunfight that left a teenage girl dead last month turned himself in to police on unrelated charges Thursday. His lawyer said the 20-year-old had nothing to do with the shooting.
Christopher Mejia was being sought on warrants for drug and weapons charges not directly linked to the Sept. 20 shooting that left 17-year-old Desirae Douglas dead.
Meija turned himself in to police at the Anchorage Jail about 6:40 p.m. accompanied by his lawyer, Rex Butler. Police handcuffed Mejia and took him inside the jail.
"I think they (police) know he had nothing to do with the shooting," Butler said, standing on the sidewalk outside the jail in a damp, chill breeze. He said he thinks the cops want to talk to anyone they think might be a witness, but Butler said his client isn't interested in talking about it.
"I don't think anyone actually knows who shot the poor child, but at the same time nobody else wants to get shot, either."
Read the full story at adn.com
Comments