McClatchy DC Logo

North Carolina man arrested in ATM Ponzi scheme | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Courts & Crime

North Carolina man arrested in ATM Ponzi scheme

Martha Quillin - The (Raleigh) News & Observer

    ORDER REPRINT →

September 22, 2009 07:29 AM

RALEIGH — A Raleigh businessman is one of two people charged in a 10-count federal indictment unsealed Monday that says the pair cheated investors out of at least $80 million through a Ponzi scheme that fell apart last year.

Vance Moore II of Raleigh was arrested Friday afternoon in Garner, the U.S. Attorney's Office in New York City said in a press release. Moore's family operates a business in Garner and in Leesburg, Fla., called Best Lab Deals Inc. A spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney said Moore was arrested at his office. He is scheduled to appear in federal court in Raleigh this morning.

Moore's attorney, Stuart Abrams of New York, did not return phone calls Monday.

His co-defendant in the case, Walter Netschi, 62, of McKinney, Texas, surrendered in New York on Monday.

SIGN UP

Both are charged with nine counts of wire fraud and one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud.

The indictment says the two worked together to persuade investors to buy automated teller machines to be placed in convenience stores, shopping centers, hotels and other locations around the country. Investors were to earn monthly income from fees charged to users of the machines.

The indictment says Moore, Netschi and others led investors to believe they had as many as 4,000 machines in place. In fact, investigators say, they had only about 400, and they relied on money from new investors to pay dividends to existing ones.

FBI Assistant Director-in-Charge Joseph M. Demarest Jr. described the arrangement as a classic Ponzi scheme, with phantom revenue coming from new investors rather than ATM fees.

"The scheme itself, until discovered, was one giant cash machine," Demarest said in the press release.

The indictment does not detail where the money went, but it says Moore and Netschi used some of it for "their own personal expenses, among other things."

Investigators say the scheme began in 2005 and worked like this: Through one of his companies, Netschi would sell individual ATMs or groups of machines to investors. The investors would then enter into agreements with Moore's company, ATM Financial Services, to process, operate and maintain the machines.

To read the complete article, visit www.newsobserver.com.

  Comments  

Videos

How police use DNA ‘familial searches’ to probe murders

How does a crime get classified as ‘domestic terrorism’?

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Your DNA kit begins a ‘journey of discovery’ – but are results in safe hands?

December 04, 2017 05:00 AM

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM
Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM
Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM
‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM
How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM
Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story