ROSEVILLE, Calif. — In recent months, Ed Helms had complained to his boss that another man was obsessed with his wife, stalking her and calling their Roseville home at all hours of the day and night.
Now that supervisor, Phillip Borup, wonders whether the obsession is behind the couple's slaying Tuesday night.
An intruder broke into the Helmses' home on Alnwick Drive and fatally shot 52-year-old Ed Helms and his wife, 49-year-old Marilyn Helms, before turning the gun on himself, according to Roseville police.
Officers later found all three people dead in an upstairs bedroom. Autopsies are scheduled for today.
Police identified the suspect as Jason Christopher Lambert, 35, of Roseville. Dee Dee Gunther, spokeswoman for Roseville police, said detectives are investigating the relationship between Lambert and the Helmses. She said she could not confirm whether the Helms family had been stalked or if that played a role in the shootings.
Just before 9 p.m. Tuesday, Gunther said, the Helmses' 16-year-old son called police to say a man with a handgun had forced his way into the family's home and, the teen thought, had shot his parents.
The teen, who was not hurt, fled the home and met officers outside when they arrived minutes later, Gunther said.
Unsure whether they were faced with a hostage situation or a gunman still inside the house, police called out the Special Weapons and Tactics team, Gunther said. SWAT officers entered the home about 1:40 a.m. Wednesday and found the bodies.
Detectives said the boy did not know the intruder, but they believe he was known to the boy's parents.
"Nothing indicates that this is random," said Detective Jerry Wernli.
Read the full story at sacbee.com.
Comments