McClatchy DC Logo

Doctor faces murder charge in ballerina's drunk-driving death | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Courts & Crime

Doctor faces murder charge in ballerina's drunk-driving death

Anne Blythe and Thomasi McDonald - Raleigh News & Observer

    ORDER REPRINT →

September 15, 2009 05:08 PM

RALEIGH, N.C. — A North Carolina doctor voluntarily surrendered his medical license and resigned from his job Tuesday as he faced a more serious charge of second-degree murder in the death of a 20-year-old ballerina.

The North Carolina Medical Board, which licenses all doctors in the state, posted the surrender letter on its Web site from Dr. Raymond Cook.

"I agree to return my license and registration certificates to the Board as promptly as possible," Cook wrote in the letter.

He also resigned from his faculty position at UNC School of Medicine and his employment with WakeMed Facial Plastic Surgery.

SIGN UP

Tuesday afternoon, Cook, who had been a plastic and reconstructive surgeon, turned himself in on new charges of second-degree murder after allegedly driving drunk Friday night and causing a wreck that left a Triangle ballerina dead.

Cook, a Raleigh resident, previously faced charges of felony death by vehicle and driving while impaired.

Cook, who was wearing a dark blue golf shirt and khaki-colored pants as he turned himself in before a Wake County magistrate, was given a bond of $2 million and booked into a holding cell.

Two hours later, Cook, who was wearing an orange and white jail jumpsuit, appeared before District Court Judge Jane Gray, who lowered his bond to $250,000. She also ordered him to surrender his passport.

Gray decreased the bond after Cook's attorney, Roger Smith Jr., said guidelines call for a bond of $200,000 to $500,000 associated with second-degree murder charges.

Smith also said his client is not a flight risk. Cook has lifelong ties to the community and the support of his family, Smith said. Both Cook's parents and his in-laws were in the courtroom today.

"All of his behavior in the case, indicates someone who is going to come back and answer these charges," Smith told Gray.

Wake assistant district attorney Jeff Cruden agreed with Smith that the bond should be lowered, saying there is nothing that calls for a bond outside of the guidelines, "although it may appear to the public that we're being soft."

But Cruden pointed out that the parents of Elena Bright Shapiro, who was killed in the wreck, could not be in court today because they were burying their daughter.

Before she lowered the bond, Gray told Cook, "it would be foolish for you in any way not to be in court because the bond you are currently under might be imposed."

Cook agreed to enter a physician's substance abuse treatment program on Friday. He will do whatever they recommend, his attorney said.

Cook did not speak, but issued a statement, saying: "Today, in Winston-Salem, Elena Bright Shapiro is laid to rest. My wife, parents and family join me in expressing our most profound sympathy to Ms. Shapiro's family. Yet, we understand that words can never take away the pain of her loss.

"...Time might heal some things, but it will never take away this hurt and this loss," his statement continued.

Police say at 8:35 p.m. Cook's car, traveling about 85 miles per hour in a 45 zone, struck a car driven by Shapiro, 20, a Winston-Salem native who was a trainee with Carolina Ballet in Raleigh.

Court documents describe Cook as having "bloodshot" and "glassy" eyes, smelling of alcohol, swaying and having slurred speech shortly after the incident. The results of a blood alcohol test were not available Monday.

Cook, a 1997 graduate of the UNC-Chapel Hill medical school, was licensed by the N.C. Medical Board in 1999.

In 2003, he took a job with WakeMed. For an annual salary of $288,577, he had the title of assistant professor in UNC-CH's department of otolaryngology and head and neck surgery.

This was not the first time Cook was accused of drunken driving.

In 1989, according to court records, Cook was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol in Camden County, Ga. He pleaded no contest to the charge, which means he pleaded guilty but did not admit guilt.

In 1988, he was accused of driving while impaired in Forsyth County, Ga., but the prosecution of that charge was abandoned when no probable cause for the charge was found.

  Comments  

Videos

How police use DNA ‘familial searches’ to probe murders

How does a crime get classified as ‘domestic terrorism’?

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM
Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM
Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM
‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM
How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM
Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story