FORT WORTH — A man who was shot Sunday during the kidnapping of a 15-year-old girl in south Fort Worth has died, police said.
Police, meanwhile, were still looking for the girl, Mirella Collazo, and Larry Sigala, the 16-year-old boy suspected of kidnapping her.
Juan Mejia-Alanis, 20, died at 11:24 a.m. Monday at John Peter Smith Hospital, according to the Tarrant County medical examiner's office. He had been shot in the head, police said.
The kidnapping is also being investigated as a capital murder/kidnapping, said Sgt. Pedro Criado, police spokesman.
An Amber Alert issued for the girl Sunday night was still in effect Monday. Police said she was forced into a lime green pickup Sunday night after the shooting.
Police found the truck, but the location of that discovery was not immediately available.
Erika Collazo, sister of the abducted girl, said she heard the truck was found abandoned in some mud on Ripy Street, about eight blocks northeast of where the incident happened in the 4400 block of Merida Avenue
The incident happened about 7:30 p.m. as Collazo and Mejia-Alanis were sitting in a vehicle parked in front of her home.
A teen identified as Sigala and another young man walked up to the vehicle, police said in a news release. Sigala is accused of firing the shot at Collazo's friend, the release states.
After grabbing Collazo and forcing her into the pickup, the suspects drove away, police said.
Collazo and Sigala began dating in January, but they broke up a few days ago, said her sister, Erika Collazo.
Erika, 18, said Monday morning that Sigala might have thought the man who was shot was trying to date Mirella, but family members believe Mirella and Mejia-Alanis were friends, not dating.
Read the full story at star-telegram.com.
Comments