Coronavirus

Defense Department reports first coronavirus death, contractor felt symptoms March 4

Note: The McClatchy Washington Bureau and McClatchy news sites have lifted the paywall on this developing story, providing critical information to readers. To support vital reporting such as this, please consider a digital subscription.

The Defense Department on Sunday reported its first coronavirus death, a contractor over the age of 60 who had worked outside the Pentagon building and had noticed symptoms less than three weeks ago.

The Pentagon did not release the contractor’s name, but said he had worked for the Defense Security Cooperation Agency, which enforces technology transfer regulations when a U.S. military weapon is sold overseas.

“Our condolences go out to his family, friends and co-workers and we thank the medical professionals who worked to save his life in the face of this virus,” a Pentagon statement said.

Separately, the Air Force on Friday reported the first two cases of COVID-19 of personnel who had recently been inside the Pentagon.

The number of cases across the military continues to rise. On Sunday at 5 a.m., the most recent figures available, 111 military personnel had tested positive for the coronavirus, up from 67 on Friday, Defense Department spokeswoman Air Force Lt. Col. Carla Gleason said.

There are also 32 defense civilian employees, 37 dependents and 31 contractors who have tested positive for COVID-19, Gleason said.

The male contractor who died had worked in Crystal City, Va., an area near the Pentagon where many of the largest defense firms have office buildings.

Gleason said the contractor had started feeling symptoms on March 4 and began teleworking on March 9. He was admitted to the hospital on March 10, after which he tested positive for COVID-19. He died late in the evening on Saturday, Gleason said.

“To the best of our knowledge this is the first DOD death,” she said.

The contractor had not entered the Pentagon since February, Gleason said.

The Pentagon statement said the spaces at DSCA where the individual worked “have been cleaned in accordance with CDC guidance.” It also said his co-workers have been teleworking.

Tara Copp
McClatchy DC
Tara Copp is the national military and veterans affairs correspondent for McClatchy. She has reported extensively through the Middle East, Asia and Europe to cover defense policy and its impact on the lives of service members. She was previously the Pentagon bureau chief for Military Times and a senior defense analyst for the U.S. Government Accountability Office. She is the author of the award-winning book “The Warbird: Three Heroes. Two Wars. One Story.”
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER