McClatchy DC Logo

Gonzales asked to answer more questions before Congress | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

News

Gonzales asked to answer more questions before Congress

Marisa Taylor - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 25, 2007 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—Frustrated with Attorney General Alberto Gonzales' incomplete explanation of the firings of eight U.S. attorneys, members of two congressional committees demanded that Gonzales submit to more questions about his handling of the ousters.

The development came as a House of Representatives committee voted Wednesday to grant immunity to a former top aide to Gonzales to compel her testimony. Monica Goodling, the aide, had said she would invoke her constitutional right not to testify for fear of incriminating herself.

Gonzales has struggled to repair his credibility as Democrats and Republicans continue to hammer him for his conflicting statements about the Justice Department's targeting of prosecutors.

Although Gonzales spent weeks preparing for testimony last week before the Senate Judiciary Committee, he couldn't answer a litany of questions about a plan to target top prosecutors who'd fallen out of favor with the administration. In recent days, several Democrats and Republicans have called for Gonzales' resignation, although President Bush has reaffirmed his support for his top law enforcement official. Gonzales has said he won't resign.

SIGN UP

Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., who heads the Senate Judiciary Committee, and Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., the committee's ranking Republican, urged Gonzales in a letter Wednesday to provide more information related to his knowledge and involvement in the firings.

"By some counts you failed to answer more than 100 questions," the senators wrote. "As a result, the committee's efforts to learn the truth of why and how these dismissals took place, and the role you and other department and White House officials had in them, has been hampered."

Meanwhile, House Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers, D-Mich., announced that Gonzales will be appearing before his committee on May 10 to testify about the firings.

Several of the fired prosecutors were involved in public corruption cases prompting speculation that they were fired shortly after the 2006 congressional elections because they either went after Republicans too aggressively or didn't indict Democrats. In his Senate testimony, Gonzales denied the charges, yet he continued to offer contradictory and vague reasons for the firings.

On Wednesday, Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., raised new questions about whether the firing of former Arizona U.S. Attorney Paul Charlton was connected to an investigation of a Republican.

The Wall Street Journal reported in its Wednesday editions that federal investigators in Arizona had faced delays in securing the Justice Department's approval of an investigation into a land deal that would have benefited a friend of Rep. Rick Renzi, R-Ariz.

Meanwhile, Renzi's chief of staff admitted contacting Charlton's office to inquire about media reports regarding the investigation shortly before the 2006 congressional elections. Although Charlton disclosed the contact as required under Justice Department rules, Justice officials apparently didn't disclose it as part of the recent congressional investigation. So far, they've turned over more than 6,000 internal documents.

A Justice Department spokesman denied that officials interfered with any public corruption case for partisan reasons. "To the contrary, under the leadership of Attorney General Gonzales, the Justice Department has aggressively combated public corruption at all levels," said spokesman Dean Boyd.

Boyd also defended Gonzales' testimony: "It is not surprising that the attorney general could not recall every conversation that he has had."

The request by Leahy and Specter is being reviewed, Boyd said. The senators gave Gonzales a week to respond.

House Democrats believe Goodling, who served as a Justice Department liaison to the White House, may provide the answers that Gonzales didn't, such as whether the White House—in particular presidential aide Karl Rove—was more deeply involved in the firings.

The House Judiciary Committee voted 32-6 to grant Goodling immunity and approved a subpoena for her in a unanimous vote.

Goodling's lawyer, John M. Dowd, told House members in a letter Wednesday that his client would wait for a federal court to sign off on the order before responding. He declined further comment.

  Comments  

Videos

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE NEWS

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM
Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story