McClatchy DC Logo

Key Democrat accuses officials of lying about e-mails | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

News

Key Democrat accuses officials of lying about e-mails

Margaret Talev and Marisa Taylor - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 12, 2007 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—The chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee accused the Bush administration Thursday of trying to bury potentially damaging Republican Party e-mails about eight fired U.S. attorneys and compared the situation to Watergate.

"They say they have not been preserved. I don't believe that!" said Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., of e-mails that the White House had said a day earlier might be lost. "You can't erase e-mails, not today. They've gone through too many servers. Those e-mails are there, they just don't want to produce them. It's like the infamous 18-minute gap in the Nixon White House tapes."

Leahy said the idea of lost e-mails was "like saying the dog ate my homework."

His tirade on the Senate floor blindsided the White House and intensified the confrontation between Congress and the presidency over the fired U.S. attorneys.

SIGN UP

White House spokeswoman Dana Perino responded that the administration is working in good faith with the Republican National Committee and computer experts to retrieve any relevant non-government e-mails and turn them over to Congress.

"I don't know how he could possibly say that when what we've done is endeavored to be very forthcoming and honest," Perino said. "We screwed up, and we're trying to fix it."

The White House acknowledged that some RNC e-mails might be relevant to the congressional investigation into the U.S. attorneys' firings, but it said they may be lost because they were neither sent nor saved on government systems.

"We don't have all of the answers yet, but we are working with the committees. ... I can assure you that we are working very hard to make sure that we find the e-mails that were potentially lost," Perino said of the House of Representatives and Senate panels investigating the controversy.

The exchange came as Attorney General Alberto Gonzales prepares to testify next week before Leahy's panel. It's investigating whether there was inappropriate political influence when the eight U.S. attorneys were fired and their replacements hired.

The Justice Department also was planning to turn over 1,000 more pages of documents to lawmakers Thursday night or Friday—adding to thousands of pages made public over the past month.

Lawmakers told the White House and the RNC weeks ago to retain e-mails that had been sent by White House aides on RNC accounts after an early document release showed that some correspondence on the U.S. attorneys issue had been sent via a campaign e-mail address.

An estimated 50 current and former White House aides had Republican Party e-mail accounts. They may have used non-government e-mail addresses to comply with the federal Hatch Act, which prohibits using government resources to conduct political business.

Democrats have charged that Bush aides might have used non-government e-mail addresses to evade requirements that presidential records be saved for historical purposes.

Sens. Leahy and Arlen Specter, R-Pa., told the White House by letter Thursday that they want to hire an independent and "mutually trusted computer forensics expert. Such a process would help to restore public confidence in the White House's desire to comply with the Presidential Records Act."

The House Judiciary Committee instructed the RNC on Thursday to turn over all relevant e-mails and documents by April 20, regardless of what the White House does. The House panel also is looking for e-mails involving the U.S. attorney in Wisconsin, who announced just before last year's election the indictment of a staffer to the governor. An appeals court just reversed the conviction.

House Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers, D-Mich., and subcommittee chairwoman Linda Sanchez, D-Calif., said if the RNC claims it can't retrieve deleted e-mails, the committee may send its own computer specialists over to try.

A poll released Thursday by Bloomberg and the Los Angeles Times found that 53 percent of Americans think Gonzales should resign, and three-fourths of respondents said White House officials should testify under oath about the controversy. But nearly two-thirds also said they think the Democrats are looking for political advantage in the investigation.

———

(McClatchy Newspapers correspondent Ron Hutcheson contributed.)

  Comments  

Videos

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE NEWS

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM
Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story