McClatchy DC Logo

Japanese official admits disaster response was lacking | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Japanese official admits disaster response was lacking

David Pierson - Los Angeles Times

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 18, 2011 05:22 PM

BEIJING — Japan's top government spokesman said Friday that the country's leadership was overwhelmed by last week's earthquake and tsunami, which slowed its ability to respond to the following humanitarian crisis and nuclear emergency.

"The unprecedented scale of the earthquake and tsunami that struck Japan, frankly speaking, were among many things that happened that had not been anticipated under our disaster management contingency plans," Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said, according to the Associated Press.

"In hindsight we could have moved a little quicker in assessing the situation and coordinating all that information and provided it faster," he said.

The admission comes as dissatisfaction with the central government's handling of the disaster aftermath intensifies, not just among ordinary Japanese but also local officials. Many Japanese say they do not trust that Tokyo or power company officials are admitting the true severity of the nation's problems.

SIGN UP

Compounding the lack of trust is the fact that hundreds of thousands are running short of basic necessities such as food and fuel in Japan's crippled northeast, where unseasonably cold weather is adding to the everyday misery.

On the same day, Japan's Prime Minister Naoto Kan promised in a meeting with the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency to disclose as much information as possible about the unfolding nuclear crisis.

In a press briefing later, Kan said he was convinced Japan would overcome its difficulties, though the challenges faced at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear complex 150 miles north of Tokyo remain uncertain.

"We will rebuild Japan from scratch," he said, according to the Associated Press. "We must all share this resolve."

In recognition that the crisis at the nuclear plant could have wider consequences, Japan's nuclear safety agency raised the severity level of the nuclear emergency to 5 from 4 on a 7-level international scale. That puts the Fukushima shutdown on par with the Three Mile Island accident in 1979. The Chernobyl disaster in 1986 was rated a 7.

The higher severity level did not reflect any changes at the Fukushima plant, officials told the Associated Press, but signaled the crisis had been improperly assessed. Japan has asked the United States for help with the crisis. A U.S. military firetruck was one of several that doused the No. 3 reactor at the Fukushima plant with water Friday.

In his meeting with reporters, Kan also called on unaffected prefectures to take in refugees from Japan's devastated coast. About 370,000 people are reportedly staying at shelters.

The country observed a moment of silence in honor of the victims. The official death toll from last Friday's disaster climbed to 6,911 Friday, making it deadlier than the 1995 earthquake in Kobe. The final toll is expected to be well over 10,000.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Health concerns in Japanese tsunami shelters

March 17, 2011 06:32 PM

national

U.S. nuclear plants store more spent fuel than Japan's

March 17, 2011 07:24 PM

world

Japan nuclear crisis prompts China to halt plans for new plants

March 16, 2011 01:40 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story