McClatchy DC Logo

Remarks by Japanese leader raise stakes for meeting with Bush | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Remarks by Japanese leader raise stakes for meeting with Bush

William Douglas - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 25, 2007 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's first Washington meeting with President Bush was supposed to be a low-key, getting-to-know-you affair designed to highlight the tight relationship between the United States and its Asian ally.

But the Bush-Abe sessions on Thursday and Friday will be a gathering of politically wounded leaders: a president severely weakened by the war in Iraq and a prime minister hurt by a series of missteps, including controversial remarks he made about "comfort women"—women forced into sexual servitude for the imperial military forces during World War II.

"It has put a poor spin on the trip," said Bruce Klinger, an Asia analyst for the Heritage Foundation, a conservative Washington think tank. "Now Abe comes here trying to make sure the visit doesn't fail."

The two leaders plan to discuss the world economy, the war in Iraq and their tense relationships with North Korea, but an issue dating back six decades is likely to affect the atmosphere.

SIGN UP

Abe, the first Japanese prime minister born after World War II, has struggled in office since succeeding popular Junichiro Koizumi last September. His approval ratings have plummeted from 70 percent to 40 percent, making him almost as unpopular in Japan as Bush is in the United States.

Abe further dented his popularity and re-opened old wounds in Asia when he said last month that there was "no evidence to prove" that the Japanese government had any role in coercing women to work as "comfort women" in wartime military brothels. His comments were in response to a resolution by Rep. Michael Honda, D-Calif., that calls on Japan to unequivocally acknowledge its role in gathering the women and apologize for their enslavement.

Some 200,000 girls and women were abused as "comfort women," according to Amnesty International, which is co-sponsoring a silent demonstration Thursday across the street from the White House on behalf of the women, many of whom are now in their 80s, and their survivors.

Abe apologized for his remarks and expressed sympathy for the "hardship" the women suffered and "the situation they found themselves in." But many in Asia found the apology unsatisfactory, saying that it seemed to undercut a 1993 apology on behalf of the Japanese government by then-Chief Cabinet Secretary Yohei Kono.

Kono acknowledged that in many cases the women were taken against their will and that government personnel, at times, participated in "recruiting" them.

Amnesty International called both apologies insufficient and urged Bush to bring up the issue with Abe on Thursday in the White House or Friday at Camp David.

"The Japanese prime minister should say unequivocally he's sorry," said T. Kumar, the organization's advocacy director for Asia and the Pacific.

White House officials doubt that Bush will bring up the issue because he's already spoken to Abe about it. Abe explained his apology and position on "comfort women" in a 20-minute telephone call to Bush on April 3.

Dennis Wilder, the National Security Council's senior director for Asian affairs, said Abe has "done a lot to clear up the misunderstandings."

"I think the point the president makes is . . . that as you move forward, Japan as a modern, democratic nation needs to find a way to place these issues behind it so it can move forward in cooperation with its neighbors," Wilder said.

Bush and Abe are expected to discuss the North Korean nuclear situation during their talks. The Tokyo government was reportedly taken aback when the United States agreed to a six-nation deal for North Korea to shut down its nuclear activities in exchange for millions of dollars in energy and economic aid.

The deal has raised fears that the United States—anxious for a nuclear-free North Korea—might remove the regime from its list of state sponsors of terrorism before Japan resolves its dispute with Pyongyang over the abduction of 13 Japanese citizens in the 1970s and1980s. North Korea admitted to the abductions in 2002.

"We aren't going to de-link the abductee issue from the state sponsor of terrorism issue," Wilder said. "We fully expect that the bilateral working group between Japan and DPRK (North Korea) is going to have success in moving this issue forward."

———

(McClatchy Newspapers special correspondent Emi Doi contributed from Tokyo.)

———

(c) 2007, McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story