McClatchy DC Logo

Guantanamo prison likely to remain open | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Guantanamo prison likely to remain open

Warren P. Strobel - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 27, 2007 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—One high-profile prisoner may be out of Guantanamo prison soon. Australian David Hicks agreed late Monday to plead guilty to lending material support to terrorism, and he's expected to be sent back to his native land to serve the remainder of his yet-to-be-determined sentence.

But as Hicks prepares to leave, a new inmate—accused of helping to plan a deadly 2002 hotel bombing in Kenya—arrived at the prison on the U.S. Naval Base on Cuba's southeastern coast, underscoring that the controversial prison for terrorism suspects won't close anytime soon.

Despite mounting pressure to close it from Congress, foreign allies and even senior members of President Bush's Cabinet, the much-criticized detention center appears destined to remain open through the rest of Bush's 22 months in office and beyond.

"I think the strategy of this administration is to just hand it over to the next administration," said Joanne Mariner, the director of terrorism and counterterrorism programs at New York-based Human Rights Watch.

SIGN UP

While its population is slowly shrinking—more detainees have left Guantanamo than the roughly 385 who remain—the facility remains stuck in a legal morass that critics charge is of the White House's own making.

About 80 detainees have been cleared to leave, but the U.S. government has yet to persuade their native countries to take them back under the conditions it wants. Transferring the prison's population to American soil, as human rights groups advocate, could open the Bush administration's already-battered detainee policy to new legal challenges.

"The president made clear back in September that he would love to be able to shut it down, but unfortunately the circumstances do not presently permit," White House spokesman Tony Snow said last week.

Asked whether he thought that Guantanamo will close before Bush leaves office, Snow replied: "I don't think it will."

He was responding to a report in The New York Times—which U.S. officials haven't denied—that Defense Secretary Robert Gates joined forces with Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice shortly after he took office in December to argue for closing the prison.

Attorney General Alberto Gonzales reportedly prevailed in urging that Guantanamo remain open.

The plea offer by Hicks late Monday was a turning point of sorts for the facility, which observed its fifth anniversary in January.

The former kangaroo skinner was the first of 774 men known to have passed through the prison to appear before a military tribunal, which Congress authorized last year after the Supreme Court rejected an earlier White House plan to try terrorism suspects. Hicks was accused of attending al-Qaida training camps in Afghanistan, but wasn't charged with engaging in combat against U.S. forces.

Several dozen detainees could face military commissions, although charges have been prepared against only two.

"It could take another several years to get through this," Mariner predicted.

If administration officials had hoped that the military commission involving Hicks would improve the image of Guantanamo—which has become a global symbol of abuses carried out in the name of fighting terrorism—they were disappointed.

Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., a leading critic of Bush's detainee policy, criticized the way that the tribunals are conducted. They would be just as unfair to the defendant if they were someplace else, he said.

"You could move prisoners away from Guantanamo and have these same issues arise as to whether or not they have a right to know what is the evidence that they're an enemy combatant so they can try to provide contrary evidence," he said.

Human rights groups also criticized the proceedings, in which a Marine colonel who presided over the hearing dismissed two of Hicks' longtime civilian lawyers.

"It does not feel like much of a victory for the commissions or the administration's counterterrorism policy," said Elisa Massimino, the Washington director of Human Rights First, which monitors conditions at Guantanamo.

Calling conditions there "calculated cruelty," Massimino added, "I don't know how much more evidence one needs that this policy is a liability."

A congressional staffer, who requested anonymity because he wasn't authorized to speak publicly, said the administration didn't understand that the only way to change Guantanamo's image was to close it.

"You can't put zebra stripes on a hippo," he said.

Human rights group were alarmed by the announcement Monday that Abdul Malik, who's accused of involvement in a bombing in Mombasa, Kenya, that killed 13 people, none of them Americans, had been sent to Guantanamo.

Malik, whom Kenyan authorities apparently picked up in February, is the first terrorism suspect transferred to Guantanamo since September 2004, excluding 14 "high-value detainees" whom Bush moved there last year from secret CIA prisons.

But the congressional aide said he didn't think Malik's transfer indicated that a new flow of prisoners to Guantanamo was coming.

Noting that the prison's newest inmate—unlike many of its current and previous ones—reportedly had admitted involvement in a deadly terrorist attack, the aide said: "If that's the new bar, that's a pretty high bar."

———

(McClatchy Newspapers correspondent Renee Schoof contributed to this report.)

———

(c) 2007, McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story