McClatchy DC Logo

Court exonerates Serbia on genocide in Bosnia | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Court exonerates Serbia on genocide in Bosnia

Matthew Schofield - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

February 26, 2007 03:00 AM

BERLIN—Serbia wasn't responsible for the genocide against Bosnian Muslims in 1993 but it should have done more to prevent it, the International Court of Justice ruled Monday. The court laid the blame for the slaughter on ethnic Serbian separatists and said Serbia had provided them with aid and assistance.

The court's 15 judges, the United Nations' highest court and based in The Hague, Netherlands, voted by wide margins against holding Serbia—then called Yugoslavia—responsible for the deaths of at least 7,000 Bosnian Muslims at Srebrenica in 1995, a massacre that it earlier had ruled constituted genocide.

"The Court finds that the acts of those who committed genocide at Srebrenica cannot be attributed to (Serbia/Yugoslavia) under the rules of international law of State responsibility," the ruling read. The court also found "that it has not been established that those massacres were committed on the instructions, or under the direction of (Serbia/Yugoslavia) nor that (Serbia/Yugoslavia) exercised effective control over the operations in the course of which the massacres were committed."

The ruling ends a case that was first brought before the court by Bosnia in early 1993, before the Srebrenica massacre, and was expanded later to include it.

SIGN UP

In Bosnia-Herzegovina, the reactions verged on shock. One member of the nation's tripartite presidency, Zeljko Komsic, told Bosian television: "Privately, I am disappointed. I do not know what caused this kind of a ruling. ... We must respect it, but I know what I will teach my child."

Another member of the Bosnian-Herzegovinian presidency, Haris Silajdzic, told local television that the decision would make mending relations with Serbia more difficult: "I think good neighborly relations can be developed only on truth and justice, and not denial of truth and genocide. Therefore there will be tensions in the beginning."

Across the border, ultranationalist Tomislav Nikolic told Serb television the decision confirmed "what the whole world knew. Serbia didn't take part in any genocide."

Serbian journalist Dejan Anastasijevic, who covered the war, said the ruling was "perhaps better than anything Serbia could have expected."

He said there had been great concern in Serbia about the long-term effects of being the first nation ever found responsible for genocide. Such a finding "would have fueled a Serbian belief that the world is against us, caused us to circle the wagons. Now, with the suit out of the way, I believe we can improve relations with Bosnia."

Protesters outside the courthouse included the "Mothers of Srebrenica," who carried a banner listing the names of the victims of the genocide.

The assault against Bosnian Muslims occurred during the breakup of the multinational state of Yugoslavia, as Serbs, who are Christian Orthodox and were the most numerous of the nationalities, sought to construct a "Greater Serbia" in what had been republics dominated by other ethnic groups.

Slovenia and Croatia, both mostly Roman Catholic populations, declared independence in 1991, and Bosnia, where a plurality of the population was Muslim, pursued the same course after a referendum in 1992. With backing from rump Yugoslavia under President Slobodan Milosevic, Bosnian Serbs attacked Bosnian Muslims and Croats throughout Bosnia in 1992.

Bosnia had asked for billions in reparations, which the court rejected. But the court delivered strong criticism, noting that Serbia/Yugoslavia "did nothing to prevent Srebrenica."

However, the court wasn't convinced that "at the crucial time, (Yugoslavia) supplied aid to the perpetrators of the genocide in full awareness that the aid supplied would be used to commit genocide."

"In the view of the Court, the Yugoslav federal authorities should have made the best efforts within their power to try and prevent the tragic events then taking shape, whose scale might have been surmised."

Serbian President Boris Tadic said in a televised statement Monday that there'd be "dramatic political and economic consequences" for ignoring suggestions in the ruling, which included turning over suspected war criminals.

"Today the name of Serbia was mentioned again in the context of war crimes and genocide in all world's media," he said.

———

(c) 2007, McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Read Next

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

Congress

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

By Emma Dumain

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Sen. Lindsey Graham is used to be in the middle of the action on major legislative debates, but he’s largely on the sidelines as he tries to broker a compromise to end the government shutdown.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

Congress

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

January 04, 2019 11:09 AM
Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM
Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

Congress

Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

January 03, 2019 04:31 PM
Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

Congress

Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

January 03, 2019 03:22 PM
As Cornyn exits Senate leadership, Texas is shut out of its own border talks

Congress

As Cornyn exits Senate leadership, Texas is shut out of its own border talks

January 03, 2019 05:21 PM
Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

Congress

Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

January 03, 2019 12:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story