McClatchy DC Logo

Bush meets with critics of Iraq report | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Bush meets with critics of Iraq report

Ron Hutcheson and Warren P. Strobel - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 11, 2006 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—President Bush kicked off a weeklong search Monday for new ideas on Iraq by hearing from war supporters who've criticized the Iraq Study Group, the bipartisan commission that gave its recommendations last week.

The closed White House meeting with selected outside experts and retired generals was another indication that Bush remains committed to his overall strategy in Iraq and intends to pick and choose from among the study group's 79 recommendations. He also is awaiting advice from the Joint Chiefs of Staff, his National Security Council and more outside experts.

Some of the outsiders were early supporters of the Iraq war. Although they've criticized the Bush administration's handling of the war, most of them share the president's desire to keep U.S. troops in Iraq until it's able to provide its own security and defend its borders.

The study group seemed far less committed. It urged Bush to drop his open-ended commitment to Iraq and set a goal of withdrawing combat troops by early 2008.

SIGN UP

Bush, who also stopped in Monday at the State Department for advice, hopes to announce his latest plan for Iraq next week. Although he's rejected any talk of a timetable for withdrawal, at least one of the study group's proposals is finding favor at the White House: speeding up the transfer of responsibility to Iraqis.

"One of the things we're trying to do is help this government get on its feet so it can govern. ... The role of America is to help this young democracy survive," Bush said at the State Department.

Administration officials also are discussing whether to throw U.S. political support behind Iraq's majority Shiite Muslim Arab population and its Kurds, while downplaying efforts at reconciliation with its Sunni Arabs. The controversial proposal is sometimes known as the "80 percent solution," because Shiites and Kurds make up about 80 percent of Iraq's population.

A senior U.S. government official, speaking on condition of anonymity because the review isn't complete, said the Sunnis wouldn't be written off completely.

Still, he said, the American attempt to reach out to the Sunnis, who held most power and privilege in Iraq under Saddam Hussein, has "alienated those people on the fence and those people who are favorable (to U.S. goals), and gained precious little."

The strategy has risks, officials acknowledge. One is that it would alienate Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Jordan, which are Sunni-led nations whose help Washington needs to stabilize Iraq. It also might increase sectarian tensions, undermining the goal of a pluralistic society and increasing the influence of Shiite-dominated Iran.

Bush is soliciting advice on Iraq during a listening tour that White House aides acknowledged is intended to show that he's open to a range of ideas. The flurry of activity also might help draw attention away from the Iraq Study Group's conclusion that his Iraq policy has failed.

Bush will continue his outreach Tuesday with a video teleconference with American officials and military commanders in Iraq, followed by an Oval Office meeting with Iraqi Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi, a Sunni Arab. He'll seek more advice Wednesday at the Pentagon. Foreign diplomats can weigh in at a reception Friday for the diplomatic corps.

At least four of the five analysts and retired generals who met Monday with Bush have criticized the study group's report, some harshly.

"This is no way to run a war, and most definitely, no way to win it," military historian Eliot Cohen, one of the experts, wrote Thursday in The Wall Street Journal, the day after the report's release. Cohen, who teaches at Johns Hopkins University's School of Advanced International Studies, called the study group "something of a farce" and said some of its recommendations were "sheer fantasy."

He was particularly skeptical about suggestions calling for Bush to seek help from Iran and Syria, a move that the president also opposes.

Two of the former military officers who went to the White House on Monday, retired Gen. Jack Keane and retired Gen. Barry McCaffrey, took issue with the group's goal of withdrawing combat troops by early 2008.

"Based on where we are now, we can't get there," Keane told The New York Times last week. McCaffrey was even more dismissive, telling the newspaper that the ideas about withdrawal "don't make sense" and are "a recipe for national humiliation."

Another outside adviser, Stephen Biddle of the Council on Foreign Relations, said the study group seemed to put a higher priority on getting out of Iraq than on stabilizing it.

Retired Gen. Wayne Downing, the other outside expert who went to the White House, doesn't appear to have taken a public position on the report. Downing, a former White House counterterrorism adviser, was an early advocate of the war.

———

(c) 2006, McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1038266

May 24, 2007 04:36 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story