McClatchy DC Logo

Suspects arrived at Guantanamo in good health, commander says | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Suspects arrived at Guantanamo in good health, commander says

Drew Brown - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

September 07, 2006 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—The 14 terrorist suspects who were transferred to U.S. military custody after being held in secret CIA prisons appeared healthy when they arrived at the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, earlier this week, the Navy commander in charge there said Thursday. They'll be assigned attorneys once they've been charged with crimes, another Pentagon official said.

"They arrived safely, and all appeared to be in good condition," said Rear Adm. Harry Harris, the commander of Joint Task Force Guantanamo, the military unit that operates the prison. "Upon their arrival, I personally verified their identification, and I personally signed for each and every detainee."

Harris, who spoke by teleconference to reporters here, said the 14 men—including Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the alleged mastermind of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks—were processed into the camp like any of the other more than 450 prisoners at the detention camp.

"They've undergone a physical and dental examination and will be issued the normal items provided to all detainees," Harris said. "They are being provided the same dietary and cultural amenities that are afforded to all other detainees here."

SIGN UP

In addition to Mohammed, those transferred included Ramzi Binalshibh, another suspected Sept. 11 plotter, and Abd al Rahim al-Nashiri, the alleged mastermind of the terrorist attack in 2000 on the USS Cole in Yemen. Five of those transferred are believed to have been involved in the Sept. 11 attacks.

President Bush acknowledged for the first time Wednesday that the Central Intelligence Agency had secretly held and interrogated the 14 suspects outside of the United States.

Bush said some of the prisoners were questioned using an "alternative set of procedures," which critics charge amounted to torture.

The president said he intends to try the men and other terror suspects for war crimes and urged Congress to pass laws authorizing military commissions for that purpose. In June, the Supreme Court struck down the administration's original system of tribunals as unconstitutional.

Harris didn't say exactly when the terror suspects arrived at Guantanamo or if they were brought in individually or in groups. He referred all questions on their transport to the CIA. Paul Gigimiliano, an agency spokesman, said he couldn't comment on any of the operational aspects of the transfer.

Harris also declined to say whether the 14 men would be held together in isolation or imprisoned with other detainees, citing security reasons. On Wednesday, a Justice Department official said the 14 men had been isolated from other prisoners.

Harris said the men would be registered with the International Committee of the Red Cross like other detainees and would be allowed to meet with Red Cross representatives "at the appropriate time."

Simon Schorno, a spokesman for the International Committee of the Red Cross in Washington, said representatives from the organization have asked to visit the 14 and are coordinating details of the visit with the Pentagon.

The visit by the Red Cross would be the first for the 14 detainees since they were apprehended, some of them nearly five years ago. During the visit, the Red Cross will be allowed to talk privately with the men about the conditions of their detention. However, as a matter of policy, the Red Cross will discuss their findings only with the U.S. government.

The detainees also will be allowed for the first time since their captures to send and receive mail, which U.S. officials will monitor.

Harris said the new arrivals will be allowed to worship "and will have access to the Quran in their native language and other prayer accessories."

"Their medical and dental care is comparable to that received by any service member deployed here at Guantanamo," he said. "They will be given access to reading material. They will have the opportunity to exercise. And they get three culturally sensitive meals a day, and, if appropriate, blessed by an imam."

Bryan Whitman, a Pentagon spokesman, said the men would be allowed access to lawyers once they're charged with crimes.

———

(c) 2006, McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts
Video media Created with Sketch.

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

By Andrea Drusch and

Emma Dumain

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

The Kansas Republican took heat during his last re-election for not owning a home in Kansas. On Thursday just his wife, who lives with him in Virginia, joined Roberts to man the empty Senate.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story