McClatchy DC Logo

Israel faces risks, tough decisions as 9 soldiers killed in Lebanon | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Israel faces risks, tough decisions as 9 soldiers killed in Lebanon

Dion Nissenbaum - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 26, 2006 03:00 AM

JERUSALEM—The Israeli military on Wednesday suffered its heaviest losses so far in its two-week-old battle with Hezbollah militants in southern Lebanon, and world leaders meeting in Rome failed to respond to calls for an immediate cease-fire.

At least nine Israeli soldiers were killed in a fierce counterattack by Hezbollah fighters that underscored the challenge Israel faces in trying to remove the threat that the militant Islamic group poses to northern Israel.

As the crisis enters its third week, there's scant evidence that Israel's air and ground attacks have crippled Hezbollah and little reason to think that an international force is going to do so. That means the Israelis must decide whether to step up the pressure on the militants or to accept something that falls short of disarming Hezbollah.

After launching more than 2,000 airstrikes, Israel has sent thousands of soldiers into southern Lebanon to dislodge Hezbollah fighters and create a buffer zone. Doing so, however, could bog Israel down in fighting a longer and deadlier battle than its leaders anticipated and risk driving more of the region's Shiite Muslims into Hezbollah's arms.

SIGN UP

The risks of getting bogged down in southern Lebanon became clearer Wednesday when nine Israeli soldiers were killed and 27 others were wounded in fierce Hezbollah counterattacks around the border town of Bint Jbail.

The confrontation in Lebanon already has claimed more than 450 lives, and with Israel bombing his country heavily every day, Lebanese Prime Minister Fuad Saniora made an impassioned appeal in Rome to leaders from 20 nations.

"What future, other than fear, frustration, ruin and fanaticism, can stem from the rubble?" Saniora said. "Is the value of a human life less in Lebanon than that of other citizens? Are we children of a lesser God?"

But ending the fighting with Hezbollah still in place would hand Islamic militancy a victory and probably set the stage for the next clash.

"If Hezbollah does not experience defeat in this war, that will spell the end of Israeli deterrence against its enemies," military analyst Ze'ev Schiff wrote in the Israeli daily newspaper Ha'aretz after Wednesday's attacks. "We did not choose this war, but we have reached a strategic crossroad."

Military hawks see the current clash as an opportunity to weaken Hezbollah, destabilize Iran and back Syria into a corner.

"We are playing with fire anyway, and sometimes you have to take risks," said Efraim Inbar, director of the Begin-Sadat Center for Strategic Studies at Bar-Ilan University.

Turning up the heat on Hezbollah's patrons, Syria and Iran, could virtually eliminate any chance of getting Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Jordan to pressure Syria to sever its ties with Hezbollah and the Palestinian group Hamas, and it could even spark a regional war.

"The options are not very good," said Moshe Ma'oz, a professor emeritus of Islamic and Middle Eastern studies at Hebrew University. "They are between bad and worse."

Israel has reluctantly accepted the idea, but not the specifics, of an international force and has sent tanks and soldiers to drive Hezbollah out of southern Lebanon in an effort to pave the way for foreign troops.

Israel sought to prevent, or at least delay, the ground operation to avoid being drawn back into what would be its third occupation of Lebanon. Six years ago, it unceremoniously pulled out of Lebanon after an unsuccessful 18-year military campaign to rout the militant groups vying for power there.

Israel is trying to push Hezbollah out of at least a mile-deep swath of Lebanon. That might prevent the militants from staging border attacks, but it would do virtually nothing to prevent rocket attacks on Israel, since rockets have a longer range. It would increase the risk to Israeli soldiers, who'd be forced to hold onto the territory.

The dangers of even a limited effort to fight Hezbollah hit home in Wednesday's attack, which came one day after Israeli military officials confidently claimed control of Bint Jbail and boasted that the militants were on the run.

To avoid more casualties, Israel wants to see the international force step in. But many nations are reluctant to ask their soldiers to disarm Hezbollah and ensure that gunrunners from Syria and Iran don't resupply the militants as Israel is demanding.

"If there are no other options, Israel will stay there in the south in this security zone and this will be again a Lebanese quagmire," said Nicolas Pelham, a senior analyst for the International Crisis Group's Middle East Project.

That could create a quandary for Israel, which could get out more quickly by accepting a modest peacekeeping mission that would stop short of disarming Hezbollah. Or it could call for a force capable of taking on the militants—a demand that could take weeks of negotiation and still end in failure.

International reluctance to step into the fight was compounded by Israel's airstrike on a U.N. outpost Tuesday that killed four unarmed peacekeepers.

Israeli leaders voiced regret over the deaths and denied a contention by U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan that the attack appeared to be intentional.

———

(McClatchy Newspapers correspondent Warren P. Strobel contributed to this report from Rome.)

———

(c) 2006, McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.

GRAPHICS (from MCT Graphics, 202-383-6064): MIDEAST

Need to map

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1033163

May 24, 2007 04:00 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts
Video media Created with Sketch.

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

By Andrea Drusch and

Emma Dumain

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

The Kansas Republican took heat during his last re-election for not owning a home in Kansas. On Thursday just his wife, who lives with him in Virginia, joined Roberts to man the empty Senate.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story