McClatchy DC Logo

North Korea test-fires series of missiles | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

North Korea test-fires series of missiles

Jonathan S. Landay - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 04, 2006 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—Defying international calls for restraint, North Korea on Tuesday fired at least six missiles into the Sea of Japan, including a long-range projectile believed capable of reaching the United States that blew up about 35 seconds into its flight.

U.S. officials said none of the missile launches threatened U.S. territory.

The massive display of firepower by the isolated Stalinist regime came after months of failed efforts to restart six-nation talks aimed at convincing North Korea to abandon its nuclear weapons program in exchange for economic and political rewards.

The Bush administration and North Korea blame each other for the impasse, and the test-firings made chances for a resumption of the so-called six-party talks—which also involve China, Russia, South Korea and Japan—even more remote.

SIGN UP

"The North Koreans have again clearly isolated themselves," said White House press secretary Tony Snow. "It's clear that whatever the motivation, the result is pretty obvious."

While the White House confirmed five missile launches, South Korea's quasi-official Yonhap news agency, citing intelligence sources, said North Korea launched a total of 10 missiles.

The test-firings came as official Washington prepared to celebrate Independence Day with a traditional evening fireworks display and ended a unilateral moratorium on missile tests that North Korea declared in 1999.

Briefing reporters at the White House, National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley said the firings began at 2:33 p.m. EDT, with the launch from the Kitteryong site of a Scud C, a short-range ballistic missile designed by the former Soviet Union.

It landed in the Sea of Japan, as did a short- or medium-range missile lofted 31 minutes later from the same location on the country's southeast coast.

Hadley said that at 4:01 p.m., North Korea fired a Taepodong-2 long-range missile from a pad at the Musudan-ri site, on the northeast coast, where it had been monitored by U.S. spy satellites, aircraft and radars for several weeks.

The missile "vanished (from radar screens) less than a minute after launch," Hadley said.

A U.S. official, who asked not to be identified because he was not authorized to discuss the matter, said the Taepodong-2, which was believed to have consisted of three stages, exploded about 35 seconds into its flight over the Sea of Japan.

The Taepodong-2 is believed to be North Korea's most advanced missile, with a range of about 9,320 miles. "The Taepodong obviously was a failure—that tells you something about capabilities," Hadley said.

Hadley said two more missiles—a short-range Scud C and a medium-range Nodong—were fired into the Sea of Japan at 6:12 p.m. and 6:31 p.m., EDT, respectively.

The launches came despite calls by China, the United States, South Korea and Japan on North Korea not to fire the Taepodong-2.

"They have basically defied the international community and gone ahead and done it anyway," said Hadley. "It's hard to get a sense of what they think could be achieved by this."

Word of the launches sent political shock waves throughout the Asia-Pacific region, especially in South Korea and Japan, which denounced the firings as a threat "to the peace and stability of international society."

President Bush held consultations with Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld and Hadley.

Rice also spoke by telephone with her Chinese, Russian, Japanese and South Korean counterparts, and instructed Assistant Secretary of State Christopher Hill, the U.S. negotiator in the six-party talks, to depart Wednesday for consultations in the region.

"I think you're going to see a lot of diplomatic activity here over the next 24 to 48 hours," Hadley said.

North Korea agreed last September to negotiate about the dismantling of its nuclear weapons program. Since then the six-nation negotiations have stalled, with North Korea refusing to return to the bargaining table following U.S. pressure that forced a bank in Macao to freeze millions of dollars in North Korean funds.

The pressure was part of a Bush administration crackdown on North Korean counterfeiting of U.S. currency and Pyongyang's hard currency profits from missile sales and alleged trafficking in illegal narcotics.

The Bush administration has insisted that the crackdown is unrelated to the six-party talks and has been urging North Korea to resume negotiations.

Some analysts said they believed that North Korea's decision to launch the missiles was a signal that its patience with the impasse was at an end and that it wants the Bush administration to give it the same energy and attention that it has been giving to negotiations with Iran on its nuclear program.

But, they said, its action could have the opposite effect, dealing a death-blow to the six-party talks and prompting the United States and Japan to push for punitive measures against Pyongyang in the U.N. Security Council or take them unilaterally.

"North Korea just applied shock treatment. It'll either shock the patient back to life or kill it," said Peter Beck of the International Crisis Group, a conflict-prevention organization.

U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations John Bolton said the United States was "urgently consulting with other delegations of the Security Council on the situation."

Many experts, however, said there was little chance that the United States could persuade China, which can veto resolutions as one of the Security Council's five permanent members, to support punitive measures against North Korea.

Beijing, which is North Korea's main trading partner, is anxious to avoid taking any action that could destabilize the country, igniting a tidal wave of refugees that could swamp China's northern provinces.

North Korea's secretive government did not issue any statement about the launches. But it had turned up international tensions Monday with a vow to respond with an "annihilating" nuclear strike if its nuclear facilities were hit pre-emptively by the United States.

The missile launches are also likely to strain Sino-U.S. relations, especially among those in the Bush administration who say China has done too little to halt North Korea's military programs. Most of North Korea's energy supplies come through China.

"This puts Chinese credibility, and their capacity to influence North Korea, on the line," Beck said. He added that North Korea apparently felt that it could get away with the missile launches without provoking China, its only major foreign ally.

"It's clear that they didn't get a red light from China," Beck said.

———

(Landay reported from Washington, Johnson from Shenzhen, China, and Doi from Tokyo. McClatchy Newspapers correspondents Chris Adams and Ron Hutcheson contributed to this report from Washington.)

———

(c) 2006, McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1032400

May 24, 2007 03:54 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts
Video media Created with Sketch.

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

By Andrea Drusch and

Emma Dumain

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

The Kansas Republican took heat during his last re-election for not owning a home in Kansas. On Thursday just his wife, who lives with him in Virginia, joined Roberts to man the empty Senate.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story