McClatchy DC Logo

White House agrees to tell more lawmakers about NSA program | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

White House agrees to tell more lawmakers about NSA program

James Kuhnhenn - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

May 16, 2006 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—In a move that could help defuse a potentially contentious confirmation hearing for CIA director, the White House agreed Tuesday to provide details of its warrantless wiretapping and phone-record collection program to all members of the Senate and House Intelligence Committees.

Until Tuesday, the White House had insisted on keeping details of the program secret from all but a handful of lawmakers. A closed-door classified briefing for the Senate committee is scheduled for Wednesday, a day before the committee hears testimony from Air Force Gen. Michael Hayden, President Bush's nominee for director of the CIA.

"It's something we should have done five years ago ... at the inception of the program," said Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kan., the chairman of the intelligence committee. "We have reached an accommodation (with the White House). I think it's a good accommodation."

Rep. Peter Hoekstra, R-Mich., the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, said a time hadn't been set to brief the 21 members of his panel.

SIGN UP

Both Roberts and Hoekstra said they hoped the expanded access to information would stop the partisan sniping over how to conduct congressional oversight of the program.

Democrats welcomed the decision and said it likely would take the edge off of the public portion of Hayden's confirmation hearing Thursday.

"I suspect that there is concern that if the committee doesn't really know the details of the NSA program, the Hayden nomination is in jeopardy," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., who has supported Hayden for the CIA post. "I'm delighted to hear this. It is the right thing to do."

At issue is Bush's decision shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks to authorize the super-secret National Security Agency to eavesdrop on conversations in and out of the United States involving callers suspected of having al-Qaida ties. Though the calls involved at least one party within the United States, Bush's authorization permitted eavesdropping without court-approved warrants.

The New York Times revealed the existence of the program in December, causing an outcry from civil libertarians and attempts to curtail the program in Congress.

Last week, USA Today reported that the NSA also was collecting domestic telephone records from phone companies to trace when, where and to whom phone calls were placed. Since then, two of the companies, Verizon and BellSouth, have denied turning customer phone data over to the NSA.

National security adviser Stephen Hadley said Sunday that the USA Today story described "business records that have been held by the courts not to be protected by a right of privacy."

"There are a variety of ways in which those records lawfully can be provided to the government," Hadley said.

Bush reiterated Tuesday that "we do not listen to domestic phone calls without court approval."

Hayden had been the head of the NSA when the eavesdropping and data collection programs started. Democrats and Republicans immediately vowed to confront him with questions about the legality and the breadth of the wiretaps and the record-gathering during his confirmation hearing before the Senate Intelligence Committee.

But under a deal that Roberts struck with the White House in March, only seven of the Senate committee's 15 members have been given details of the NSA program. They visited the NSA and gathered in a secure room in the White House where they were briefed by Hayden, Vice President Dick Cheney, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and John Negroponte, the director of national intelligence.

With the Hayden hearings looming, Roberts said it would have been especially awkward for some committee members to have access to classified information and not others.

"Why bifurcate a committee—seven being briefed and eight not—and then ask questions of somebody who has been nominated for the CIA," he said. "I don't see how that works."

Still, Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., a member of the committee, said he intended to press Hayden on aspects of the program that are already public.

"It's not going to prevent an effort to explore the program in public," he said.

———

(c) 2006, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts
Video media Created with Sketch.

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

By Andrea Drusch and

Emma Dumain

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

The Kansas Republican took heat during his last re-election for not owning a home in Kansas. On Thursday just his wife, who lives with him in Virginia, joined Roberts to man the empty Senate.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story