McClatchy DC Logo

Justices refuse to weigh in on Padilla case | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Justices refuse to weigh in on Padilla case

Stephen Henderson - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 03, 2006 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—The Supreme Court refused Monday to decide whether the president can detain Americans classified as "enemy combatants" indefinitely and without charges, saying the issue was now irrelevant to the case of terrorism suspect Jose Padilla.

In a 6-3 vote, the justices said that although Padilla had been held for more than three years in legal limbo in a military brig, he had now been charged with criminal conspiracy and was awaiting trial in a Florida prison. Any effort to reconsider his military detention would be "hypothetical, and to no effect at this stage," Justice Anthony Kennedy explained in an unusual written opinion concerning a refusal to hear a case. "Even if the court were to rule in Padilla's favor, his present custody status would be unchanged," Kennedy wrote.

Chief Justice John G. Roberts and Justice John Paul Stevens joined Kennedy's opinion. Justices Antonin Scalia, Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito also voted to reject Padilla's appeal.

In a separate opinion, the three remaining justices sharply disagreed with the court's decision, saying Padilla's case raised issues so profound that the court had an obligation to decide them.

SIGN UP

"Nothing the government has yet done purports to retract the assertion of executive power Padilla protests," Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg wrote for the dissenters, who included Justices David Souter and Stephen G. Breyer.

Although the government has charged Padilla, she said, nothing prevents President Bush from returning him to military custody or reclassifying him as a combatant.

Kennedy warned that if that were to happen, the courts could—and should—"act promptly" to preserve Padilla's rights.

The court's split on the issue was notable, but it doesn't necessarily reflect how it might decide the citizen-detention issue should it come before them later. It's a procedural ruling, not a substantive one, although the net effect is a nominal win for the Bush administration.

In other instances, including an earlier case involving Padilla, a majority of the court has expressed uneasiness with many of the Bush administration's detention policies.

Monday's decision also offers few obvious clues as to how the justices will resolve another pending terrorism case, involving military tribunals for foreign detainees at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Several justices expressed sharp doubt during oral arguments last week on the Guantanamo case that the ad hoc proceedings were within constitutional bounds, but the issue in Padilla's case was fundamentally different.

Monday's ruling is a simple acknowledgement by the justices that they need not address every question in the war on terrorism, just the ones that are immediately at issue.

Padilla's saga is a key test not only of the balance between presidential wartime powers and individual rights but also of the balance among the three branches of government. Monday's ruling highlights the deference with which the justices are approaching the separation-of-powers issues.

Monday's action marks the second time that Padilla has struck out on procedural grounds at the Supreme Court. In 2004, the justices ruled that he had filed the original challenge to his detention in the wrong court, without saying whether his captivity was justified.

Authorities picked up Padilla at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport in 2002 on suspicion that he had been part of a dirty-bomb plot. He was a former Chicago gang member and an Islamic convert who, according to the government, had spent time with al-Qaida operatives in Afghanistan.

Padilla contended from the beginning that he either should be charged or let go, and that the president's decision to classify him as an "enemy combatant" with no legal rights violated the Constitution.

After the Supreme Court rejected his first appeal on jurisdictional grounds, he refiled in the proper court. But while his case was pending, the Bush administration changed Padilla's status and added his name to an existing conspiracy indictment in Florida, which charges several suspected al-Qaida operatives.

Those charges are unrelated to the dirty-bomb allegations that led to Padilla's apprehension.

The timing of the charges invited speculation that the administration was changing its game plan at mid-quarter to avoid a judicial rebuke.

The move angered at least one lower court, which said it made Padilla's military detention look like a mistake. The Supreme Court permitted the government's switch earlier this year, but Padilla said the courts still should rule on his claim that his initial detention violated his constitutional rights.

The court's action Monday means his trial will proceed without that question being addressed, and the justices will get a chance to review the issue of his initial detention only if the government presses it anew.

———

(c) 2006, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

ARCHIVE PHOTOS on KRT Direct (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): Jose Padilla

Need to map

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Climate change played key role in Syrian civil war and helped Brexit, Al Gore says

March 24, 2017 10:19 AM

Read Next

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

Congress

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

By Emma Dumain

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Sen. Lindsey Graham is used to be in the middle of the action on major legislative debates, but he’s largely on the sidelines as he tries to broker a compromise to end the government shutdown.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

Congress

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

January 04, 2019 11:09 AM
Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM
Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

Congress

Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

January 03, 2019 04:31 PM
Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

Congress

Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

January 03, 2019 03:22 PM
As Cornyn exits Senate leadership, Texas is shut out of its own border talks

Congress

As Cornyn exits Senate leadership, Texas is shut out of its own border talks

January 03, 2019 05:21 PM
Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

Congress

Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

January 03, 2019 12:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story