McClatchy DC Logo

Israel cuts off critical funds to Palestinian government | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Israel cuts off critical funds to Palestinian government

Dion Nissenbaum - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

February 19, 2006 03:00 AM

JERUSALEM—One day after the Islamist militant group Hamas took control of the Palestinian parliament, Israel's acting prime minister dubbed the new government a "terrorist authority" on Sunday and immediately cut off funds needed to keep the Palestinian Authority afloat.

Israel stepped up its efforts to isolate the incoming government now that it is run by Hamas, which introduced suicide bombings to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and refuses to accept Israel's right to exist.

"Israel views the rise of Hamas as a dangerous milestone that turns the PA into a terrorist authority," acting Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said before his Cabinet approved the new steps.

The combative steps underscore the calculated risk Israel is taking in response to the Hamas victory: Israel's efforts to isolate the new Palestinian government could either force Hamas to moderate its views or drive it toward further extremism and deepen the economic despair of the Palestinian people.

SIGN UP

Olmert said Israel would sever military and political ties to the Palestinian Authority until Hamas accepts Israel's right to live alongside a new Palestinian state, disarms its militants, renounces terrorism and accepts existing peace deals.

In the most significant punitive measure, Israel will stop funneling about $50 million in monthly customs and tax revenue that it collects for the Palestinian Authority and passes along to it.

The money is essential to paying the salaries of 138,000 Palestinian government employees, including 58,000 members of the security forces who could be thrown out of work.

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas, the moderate leader undercut by the Hamas victory, told reporters in Gaza City that the Israeli moves were deepening his government's financial crisis.

Israel also is trying to convince other countries to cut off funding to the Palestinian Authority. The United States has demanded that the Palestinian government return $50 million in aid it gave last year, and it's unlikely to hand over any more money unless Hamas agrees to the changes sought by Israel and much of the rest of the world.

Following Israel's actions, a top Hamas leader, Khaled Mashaal, headed from Syria to Iran to seek financial support from a government whose president has called for Israel to be wiped off the map.

"Under the Israeli threats, the Palestinian government and the Palestinian people have the right to look for finances for this government from whomever—and no one has the right to oppose that," said Said Sayyam, one of the new Hamas lawmakers from Gaza.

Hamas last month won 74 of 132 seats in the new Palestinian Legislative Council, putting it in position to create a new Cabinet, which is charged with overseeing everything from the economy and security to education and foreign relations.

Abbas met Sunday with Hamas leaders at his Ramallah compound to begin the three-week process of choosing the Cabinet. As expected, Hamas tapped Gaza City lawmaker Ismail Haniyeh to be the next prime minister, and it will be up to him to form a new government.

Since winning the elections, Hamas members have been touring the Middle East in an effort to persuade Arab and Muslim nations to replace any loss of funds. So far they have obtained no public commitments of support.

An Israeli security official who spoke on condition of anonymity called the Hamas trip to seek funding in Iran "a bit of a bluff." The official questioned whether Iran had the ability to replace money from Europe and the United States. Iran provides about $100 million a year to Hezbollah militants in Lebanon, a sum that wouldn't even pay the salaries of the Palestinian Authority for one month, the official said.

In response to the moves by Israel, Haniyeh, the incoming Palestinian prime minister, said he wouldn't be intimidated.

"The Palestinian people and the Palestinian government will not be scared of this," he told reporters in Gaza City. "We and our people are able to manage with these obstacles and obstructions."

Mark Regev, a spokesman for the Israeli foreign ministry, said Hamas would be better served by agreeing to international demands for reform.

"If they're going to act like pariahs, they're going to be treated like pariahs," he said. "If they act like responsible members of the international community they're going to be treated like responsible members of the international community."

Cutting off direct aid could create problems. Disgruntled security forces have staged several violent marches and taken over government buildings in recent weeks to protest frozen salaries and small paychecks. Out-of-work security forces also could opt to vent their frustrations on Israel by staging attacks.

Regev said his government understands the dangers, but "the risk involved in passing money to a Hamas-led government we think is greater than the alternative."

Israel and the United States are trying to differentiate between money going directly to the Palestinian government and funds going to humanitarian projects in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

———

(Knight Ridder Newspapers special correspondent Mohammed Najib contributed to this report from Ramallah.)

———

(c) 2006, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): MIDEAST

Need to map

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1027261

May 24, 2007 03:23 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts
Video media Created with Sketch.

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

By Andrea Drusch and

Emma Dumain

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

The Kansas Republican took heat during his last re-election for not owning a home in Kansas. On Thursday just his wife, who lives with him in Virginia, joined Roberts to man the empty Senate.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story