McClatchy DC Logo

First privately funded manned spaceship goes on display | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

First privately funded manned spaceship goes on display

Banks Albach - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

October 05, 2005 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—A new neighbor hangs next to Charles Lindbergh's Spirit of St. Louis from the ceiling of the Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum. It's SpaceShipOne, the geeky-looking privately funded manned spacecraft that flew into space three times last year.

Burt Rutan, who designed it, could hardly take his eyes off the tiny aircraft—wingspan: 27 feet; length: 28 feet—at a welcoming ceremony in the museum's central gallery on Wednesday.

Paul Allen, the Microsoft billionaire who financed the $25 million effort, signed it over to the Smithsonian with a challenge.

"What Burt and I were hoping to accomplish with SpaceShipOne—and I think we did—was to show that this kind of experience should be open to the general public," Allen told reporters. "Burt and I both dream of the day when there will be privately owned space hotels and space stations."

SIGN UP

Rutan conceived of SpaceShipOne in 1996 as a lightweight and simple alternative to NASA's costly hardware. By relying on composite materials and a new hybrid rocket engine that burned rubber and nitrous oxide, he produced an elegantly engineered craft that weighs about 3 tons and travels at three times the speed of sound.

The ship, with its strange Swiss cheese windows and a belly festooned with random stars, rocketed more than 62 miles above the Earth's surface—technically suborbital space—three times last year. The effort won the $10 million Ansari X Prize for completing two of those flights within two weeks.

"I'd like to see those sorts of trips affordable in my lifetime," Rutan said.

In July, Rutan inked a deal with Sir Richard Branson, chairman of Virgin Group Ltd., the British media and transportation company.

The new company, Virgin Galactic, bought Rutan's design from Allen and hired Rutan to build SpaceShipTwo and its successors. Virgin Galactic plans to seat up to eight passengers on the new ship at $200,000 per ticket. Flights start in 2008.

"As opposed to the first 44 years of manned spaceflight," Rutan said, referring to multibillion-dollar government efforts, "the difference is people are going to know that it is for them."

He and Allen—who with $20 billion is America's third richest man, according to Forbes magazine—repeatedly contrasted their venture's nimbleness to NASA's approach.

For the space agency's 2018 trip to the moon, Rutan said, it will rely on the same technology that first took it to the moon in 1969.

"It doesn't try new things and it doesn't take new risks," Rutan added. With competition from "a robust, high volume, successful and very profitable suborbital manned space industry ... solutions will come much sooner."

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): SCI-SPACESHIP

ARCHIVE GRAPHIC on KRT Direct (from KRT Graphics, 202-383-6064): 20040621 SpaceShip One

Need to map

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1022402

May 24, 2007 02:49 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story