McClatchy DC Logo

New Orleans isn't ready for returning residents, commander says | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

New Orleans isn't ready for returning residents, commander says

Gary Estwick - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

September 18, 2005 03:00 AM

NEW ORLEANS—One day before Mayor Ray Nagin plans to start letting residents return, the commander of the federal recovery effort warned Sunday that the city simply isn't ready.

Dangers abound, said Coast Guard Vice Adm. Thad Allen. The city's levees are too weak to protect against another storm. An evacuation plan to clear the crippled city in the event of another disaster isn't complete. The city still lacks drinkable tap water and working telephones, and bacteria-tainted floodwaters pose a serious health hazard.

As the death toll from Hurricane Katrina neared 900, New Orleans business owners continued to dribble into the city on Sunday, assessing damage and cleaning debris.

Under Nagin's plan, announced last week, the first residents will be allowed to return Monday to Algiers, across the Mississippi River from downtown New Orleans.

SIGN UP

Allen said he would meet with Nagin on Monday and provide a "frank and unvarnished report" on the city's status. He said he hoped their meeting would lead to "a logical plan forward to repopulate the city."

Nagin was not available Sunday to talk about the return plan or Allen's comments. On Saturday, his office issued a statement contending that his re-entry plan "balances safety concerns and the needs of our citizens to begin rebuilding their lives. ... Promoting the return of commerce to New Orleans and the region is key if we are going to realize our common objective: to bring New Orleans back."

Said Allen Sunday: "We really support his plan to restart New Orleans," speaking on NBC and CNN news-talk shows. But, Allen added, "it's a matter of timing."

Louisiana state officials also expressed concern with the mayor's plan.

"The party line is simple—we'd rather people not go back to New Orleans," said Mark Smith, spokesman for the Louisiana Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness.

"But there is no way we can prevent anyone—short of military action—from going in," Smith said. "That's his city. That's his parish. ... Sooner or later, people have to be able to return to their lives."

Large parts of the city are far from being ready for people to return.

A two-hour aerial survey Sunday exposed vast flooding south of New Orleans and a section of the northeast portion of the city. Searchers aboard rescue boats scoured the University Park area, where the water appeared to be 3 to 4 feet deep in places.

South along the Mississippi toward the river's mouth, an estimated 40 miles of land was submerged, stretching from Port Sulphur to Venice, said Maj. Randell Venzke with the National Guard in Madison, Wis. Fishing boats tossed by the storm remained scattered. A 200-foot boat sat marooned in the middle of a nearby highway.

South of the city, a slick oily sheen covered a vast area of flooded land, apparently spreading from a collapsed storage tank.

In places now dry, grass and trees once submerged in floodwaters are dying. Entire towns have been flattened. Houses, smashed to pieces, look like piles of matchsticks from the air. Hundreds of power lines are down.

With the city's levee system damaged, Allen said, the city must have a detailed plan on how it would notify residents of another storm and how they would be evacuated in time. But that plan is still in the works, he said.

Another storm that potentially could end up crossing the Gulf of Mexico was approaching the Florida Keys on Sunday, and authorities issued a hurricane watch for the island chain. The new tropical depression was expected to become Tropical Storm Rita.

Long-term forecasts show the storm crossing into Gulf of Mexico toward Texas, but hurricane tracks veer notoriously, raising the possibility that it could strike areas already devastated by Hurricane Katrina.

Smith, the Louisiana homeland security spokesman, said authorities were concerned about the possibility of additional rainfall from storms, including some brewing in the Gulf of Mexico.

"We are keeping a very close eye on those storms," he said.

Nagin's plan calls for areas where about 182,000 people lived to be reopened over the next two weeks, out of a city of nearly 500,000. The areas to open in stages include the central business district and the French Quarter.

As residents and business owners return, they will be asked to verify proof of residence or business ownership with identification, Nagin said. Law enforcement agencies and the National Guard will enforce a dusk-to-dawn curfew, which will remain in effect indefinitely.

With the recovery of additional bodies announced Sunday, Katrina's death toll rose to 883. Louisiana officials have confirmed 646 deaths, Mississippi 219 and other states 18.

———

(Davis of the San Jose Mercury News and Estwick of the Akron Beacon Journal reported from New Orleans, and Tsai of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and Eric Frazier of the Charlotte Observer from Baton Rouge. Knight Ridder Newspapers correspondent Jesse Barker of The Kansas City Star anchored from Washington, D.C.)

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): WEA-KATRINA

Need to map

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1021796

May 24, 2007 02:42 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story