McClatchy DC Logo

Relief groups launch unprecedented effort in U.S. | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Relief groups launch unprecedented effort in U.S.

Amy Worden - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

September 07, 2005 03:00 AM

BAYOU LA BATRE, Ala.—American and international relief organizations that have traditionally targeted humanitarian efforts at disaster victims in impoverished nations have launched unprecedented relief measures in the United States, saying the devastation from Hurricane Katrina has persuaded them to step in.

In this hurricane-pummeled shrimping village in the southwest corner of Alabama near the Mississippi state line, tractor trailers carrying 8,000 cans of turkey, 400 bales of blankets and thousands of pounds of other supplies rolled up this week and set up shop at a community center-turned-shelter.

The donations came from the Mennonite Central Committee, a global organization based in Pennsylvania that for 80 years has responded primarily to African famines, Indian earthquakes and other Third World disasters.

Foreign-aid group officials say they are using procedures developed from decades of experience responding to humanitarian disasters abroad to provide relief to millions suffering from the effects of Katrina.

SIGN UP

Oxfam, one of the world's leading aid organizations with affiliates in 12 countries including the United States, says that for the first time in its 35-year history it is responding to a disaster on U.S. soil.

"The assumption has always been that the U.S. has the capacity to respond to emergencies at the local, state and national level," said Oxfam spokesman Steve Greene. "We had to reassess that assumption and begin doing direct relief in Mississippi."

Greene said survey teams sent down immediately after the storm reported that rural communities, where a large percentage of residents had been living in poverty before the storm, had taken multiple blows from the storm.

"These are farmers, Latinos, migrant workers, overlooked or at the margins of society anyway," he said. "They are particularly hard-hit because their houses were not well-constructed and even if they were able to salvage some of their crops the markets for those crops—the casinos and hotels—evaporated overnight."

The Mexican government has also responded to the plight of Gulf Coast residents. A Mexican Army convoy and a Navy amphibious warship are on their way to New Orleans, the first time the Mexican military has operated north of the Rio Grande since Mexico's loss of California and New Mexico in the 1846-1848 Mexican-American War.

The Mexican forces include 195 unarmed soldiers with helicopters, 14 trucks, a mobile surgical unit, emergency personnel, 3 tons of purified water, food and two mobile kitchens that can cook three hot meals a day for 7,000 people.

The Mennonite Central Committee is responding to Katrina in partnership with its sister group, Mennonite Disaster Service, which has handled rebuilding projects in the United States after wildfires, hurricanes and tornadoes—among them Hurricane Camille, which devastated the Gulf Coast in 1969.

"With the scope of this storm there was plenty for both of us," said Mennonite Central Committee spokesman Larry Guengerich.

The groups decided to focus on Bayou La Batre, the tiny village once known as the seafood capital of the United States and made famous in the movie "Forrest Gump," because it was clear the remote community had gotten no attention.

Roughly two-thirds of the 3,000 residents of the community are Hispanic or Vietnamese, many of them living in poorly constructed dwellings that were overwhelmed by the flooding. The storm tossed the 100-foot shrimp boats onto docks and the shoreline, piling them on top of each other. The aluminum-sided seafood processing plants, struggling for a decade to compete with foreign imports, were mangled. And the oyster beds, local officials say, will likely be ruined by leaking diesel fuel and other contaminants.

Outside the community center on Wednesday, volunteers unloaded pallets of canned ham, stacked cases of water and sorted through mountains of donated clothing. Inside, 200 families took refuge from the heat.

After the immediate needs of hurricane victims are met, Guengerich said, his group will begin working with communities to rebuild homes and their local economies, a process that will take years.

"We don't do hit-and-run response," he said. "We take the long view. We will be here long after the TV cameras leave."

———

(Worden reports for The Philadelphia Inquirer.)

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story