McClatchy DC Logo

Co-chairmen of 9-11 commission criticize federal response to storm | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Co-chairmen of 9-11 commission criticize federal response to storm

Mark Seibel - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

September 14, 2005 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—The Bush administration should have realized that Hurricane Katrina was a catastrophe of national proportions and mobilized federal troops and equipment even before the storm struck, the co-chairmen of an independent investigation into the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks said Wednesday.

"Anyone watching that storm knew it was going to affect Florida, Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana," said Lee Hamilton, a former Democratic congressman from Indiana. "This is not a disaster for the mayor of New Orleans to deal with."

"It was a disappointing response," said Thomas Kean, a former Republican governor of New Jersey.

Kean and Hamilton said they didn't understand why Department of Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff waited until about 36 hours after Katrina had struck to declare an "incident of national significance," triggering a massive federal response.

SIGN UP

"It was obvious nobody knew who was in charge," Kean said. "There was no unified command structure ... the mayor is saying one thing, the governor says another. The president is in the state, and the governor learns about it on TV."

Kean and Hamilton made their comments at a breakfast for journalists. Later, they released an assessment of government action on recommendations their Sept. 11 investigating commission proposed last year. The assessment was highly critical of both Congress and the Bush administration.

"A number of our recommendations were in the area of emergency preparedness. Had they been executed, the death toll would have been lower," Hamilton said.

Chief among the failures has been Congress' unwillingness to allocate additional radio frequencies to state and local agencies to cope with disaster. Hamilton said he was dismayed that Congress is considering legislation that would delay allocation of those frequencies until 2009 and said he would call for the expansion to take place this year.

"Do we have to wait for another disaster?" he asked.

The two also criticized the Department of Homeland Security for failing to complete studies ordered by Congress into what infrastructure—ports and other transportation facilities—would be endangered by a terrorist attack or other catastrophe. One report was due April 1, the other June 15, they said.

"Had the studies of dangers to infrastructure been done, it's hard to believe that New Orleans wouldn't have been at the top," Kean said.

Hamilton said federal officials should have known early on that a massive federal response, including U.S. troops and helicopters, would be required to deal with Katrina. "The National Guard doesn't have the helicopters you need," Hamilton said. "These decisions were delayed much, much too long."

Hamilton said he was "encouraged" by President Bush's statement Tuesday that he was responsible for any federal failings in the Katrina response. "That's an extraordinary statement for this administration," he said.

But he doubted that dismay over the response would have much political impact in next year's mid-term elections. "You can hardly lose an election in the House of Representatives unless you murder someone on the Capitol steps," he said. "You have to be pretty stupid to lose re-election." Hamilton served 34 years in the House.

Kean said he feared that government officials might have been influenced by early news reports that the storm had skirted New Orleans and that the city had emerged largely unscathed. "I have a feeling everybody went `whew,'" he said.

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story