McClatchy DC Logo

Israel ends Gaza Strip occupation, but leaves synagogues standing | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Israel ends Gaza Strip occupation, but leaves synagogues standing

Dion Nissenbaum - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

September 11, 2005 03:00 AM

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip—Israel lowered its national flag in the Gaza Strip for the last time Sunday as soldiers streamed out of the former Jewish settlements, officially ending 38 years of military rule over 1.3 million Palestinians in the narrow Mediterranean region.

Hours later, thousands of Palestinians streamed into the long-fortified Israeli enclaves for the first time early Monday.

Palestinian leaders staged a last-minute boycott of a ceremonial handover to protest Israel's continued control of the Gaza Strip borders.

The unresolved dispute over when and how Palestinians can enter and leave the Gaza Strip threatens to become the first major post-settlement shutdown crisis, said Diana Buttu, a legal adviser with the Palestinian Authority.

SIGN UP

The handover was also clouded when Israel's Cabinet put an eleventh-hour halt to court-approved plans to demolish 26 synagogues in the Gaza Strip and asked Palestinian officials to respect and preserve the former houses of worship.

"This is a trap," complained Mohammed Dahlan, the Palestinian Authority Cabinet minister who has been overseeing negotiations with Israel over the pullout. "They want to create a crisis in the Palestinian Authority and create an excuse for extremists."

Late Sunday, Toufiq Abu Khossa, spokesman for Palestinian Interior Ministry, said that the Palestinian Authority now plans to demolish the synagogues and all other public buildings left behind by the Israelis.

The ceremonial lowering of the Israeli flag just before sunset Sunday marked the last official act of the nation's military control of the Gaza Strip, a densely populated area about twice the size of Washington, D.C.

In the course of a month, Israeli police and soldiers forcibly removed thousands of recalcitrant Gaza Strip settlers, razed their houses in all 21 settlements and dismantled the military infrastructure that protected the enclaves for decades.

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon pushed the plan as a way to better protect Israelis and preserve the country's hold over more-coveted settlements in the occupied West Bank.

During the pullout, Israeli and Palestinian negotiators tried and failed to work out agreements on reopening the Gaza Strip airport, linking the coastal strip with the West Bank, and opening up the borders so Palestinians could more freely enter and leave the area.

Last week, Israel decided to close the Gaza Strip's southern border crossing with Egypt for six months, a move that prompted Palestinian officials to boycott Sunday's handover ceremony as a "superficial celebration," Dahlan said.

Despite the simmering dispute, Dahlan called Israel's withdrawal "revolutionary" and said the Palestinian Authority is preparing to transform the former settlements—which occupied nearly one-fifth of the Gaza Strip land—into new economic engines.

In agreement with the Palestinians, Israel preserved many of the public buildings and the settlement greenhouses that once employed thousands of Gaza Strip residents.

But Israel was expected to raze the settlement synagogues, and the government fought for the right to do so all the way to the high court, which gave the military the green light last week.

However, Israeli officials faced emotional appeals from the religious community not to demolish the buildings, and the public pressure prompted the cabinet to vote Sunday, 14-2 not to destroy the structures.

Although synagogues are stripped of their religious sanctity once the Torah scrolls and other religious relics are removed, Jewish leaders worried that the demolition of the buildings could set a dangerous precedent for other nations.

"The symbolism of Israeli soldiers demolishing synagogues was something the Israeli public simply couldn't stomach," said Mark Regev, a spokesman for the Israeli Foreign Ministry.

Cabinet officials urged Palestinian leaders to protect the buildings, with some suggesting that they be turned into centers for peace or religious tolerance.

But Dahlan said the synagogues would be treated just like other public buildings in the settlements, and criticized Israeli officials for putting the Palestinian Authority in the difficult position of having to protect them.

Buttu said she wouldn't be shocked if Palestinians who flock to the settlements in the coming days took their decades of frustration and anger out on the structures.

"I wouldn't be surprised if people want to loot the buildings," Buttu said. "These are the symbols of the military occupation."

Buttu said the Palestinian Authority is making plans to use the rubble in the settlements to build new monuments to Palestinian martyrs killed during the Israeli military occupation and erect a new national museum. Some of it will be given to Palestinian artists for their own work.

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): MIDEAST

Need to map

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1021488

May 24, 2007 02:38 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story