McClatchy DC Logo

U.S. journalist exploring Islamic extremism shot to death in Basra | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

U.S. journalist exploring Islamic extremism shot to death in Basra

Alaa al Baldawy and Hannah Allam - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

August 03, 2005 03:00 AM

BAGHDAD, Iraq—An American journalist who'd been examining the rise of Islamic extremism in southern Iraq was found shot to death in the port city of Basra, U.S. and Iraqi officials said Wednesday. Steven Vincent, a freelance reporter from New York, was shot several times and his body, bound by plastic ties, was dumped on a downtown street after midnight, Basra police Lt. Asaad Jassib said.

It was unclear whether the killing was directly connected to Vincent's work, which was highly critical of the increasing Islamic influence in Basra.

Vincent's Iraqi translator, Nouriya Sayhoud al-Khal, was seized with him and was shot at least twice in the chest and leg, al-Khal's sister said in a phone interview. Al-Khal was transferred to a Baghdad hospital, where she was listed in serious condition.

Masked gunmen in an Iraqi police vehicle abducted Vincent and al-Khal as they left a money exchange kiosk at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Basra authorities said. Vincent was the first American reporter to be killed in such an attack since the U.S.-led war began in 2003, though several Americans have died in other circumstances. At least 65 Iraqi and foreign news workers have been killed in Iraq, according to the New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists.

SIGN UP

The attack, which followed a roadside bombing last week that killed two British security contractors, has shattered Basra's image as a haven from the insurgent violence that disrupts life in many other areas of Iraq. The British-controlled Basra long has been considered one of the most stable of Iraq's 18 provinces, though residents now are struggling with the spread of religious extremism, the resurgence of Shiite Muslim militias and rampant smuggling along the Shatt-al-Arab waterway.

Last week, Vincent published an opinion piece in The New York Times in which he quoted others accusing Shiite police officers in Basra of revenge killings of members of Saddam Hussein's former Baath Party, which brutally oppressed Shiites for decades. Vincent also criticized the British military for allowing Islamists to control the city. He told other reporters in Basra that he was too frightened to name any of the Islamic militias—such as that of radical cleric Muqtada al-Sadr—in his reports.

Kinaan al-Musawi, a spokesman at al-Sadr's office in Basra, said the cleric's Mahdi Army militia played no role in Vincent's slaying. He said al-Sadr had made it clear to his followers that journalists weren't to be considered targets, even if they wrote critically of his movement.

"The responsible parties for this killing are, directly, the Salafist (radical jihadist) movement and, indirectly, the occupying U.S. forces and the weak Iraqi government, which has failed to provide security to any city in Iraq," al-Musawi said. "Even if that journalist wrote a negative article about us, we are not angry because we have confidence in our movement, plus supporters all over the world."

Vincent told other reporters visiting Basra that he'd lived in the city for two months and was writing a book about local history. Unlike most Western correspondents in Iraq, Vincent traveled without bodyguards, and he and his translator frequently took taxis to interviews. During dinner conversations with other foreign journalists at the Merbid Hotel, where he lived, he was outspoken in his views that the conservative Islam that was sweeping through southern Iraq curtailed the rights of women.

Mehdi Abdul Karim, a Mirbed Hotel receptionist who'd befriended Vincent, said, "All he wanted to do was write a book." The Iraqi said he was impressed by the journalist's trips to visit local tribes and explore the famous southern marshes. Karim described Vincent as well liked and willing to make calls to humanitarian groups to help Iraqi families he'd gotten to know.

But the opinion piece last week, Karim said, imperiled the reporter.

"He wrote an article about radicalism in Basra and how security has been left in the hands of the militias," Karim said. "This led to his death. He paid with his life for that article."

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story