McClatchy DC Logo

British police release image of bomber, try to reconstruct his actions | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

British police release image of bomber, try to reconstruct his actions

Matthew Schofield - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 14, 2005 03:00 AM

LONDON—British police on Thursday released a closed-circuit television image of one of the suspects in last week's mass-transit bombings, captured as the man raced through the rail station in the city of Luton hours before explosions ripped through three subway trains and a bus in London.

In the image, the suspect, Hasib Hussain—whom police now say was 18, not 19—sports a beard and mustache. A large backpack—believed to contain a bomb made from 10 pounds of military explosives that Hussain is suspected of detonating aboard the No. 30 bus in London—can be seen just above the shoulder of his dark jacket. Thirteen people died in that blast, including Hussain.

Police appealed for Londoners to come forward with any photos that might have been taken of the bus before it was blown up. They said they were trying to reconstruct Hussain's movements in the hours before the explosion and were especially interested in images that showed him boarding the bus.

The police also raised the confirmed death toll from the four bombings to 54 as Londoners observed two minutes of silence Thursday to honor the victims of the explosions and the emergency workers who had rescued survivors and recovered the dead.

SIGN UP

Hussain's movements have been key to progress in the investigation. Police began to unravel the plot after Hussain's parents reported him missing 12 hours after the bombings. His driver's license was found at the site of the bus bombing, and his parents' description of what he was wearing matched the clothing on a decapitated body that police had suspected was the bomber's.

Investigators are trying to answer a number of questions, said Peter Clarke, the assistant police commissioner for anti-terrorism: "Who actually committed the attack? Who supported them? Who financed them? Who trained them? Who encouraged them?"

"This will take many months of intensive, detailed investigation," he said.

Police are probing Hussain's recent travel to Pakistan as well as a trip there by Shehzad Tanweer, 22, who's suspected of triggering the bomb that ripped through a subway train near Aldgate station. At least seven died in that attack.

Relatives have told British newspapers that both men returned from their trips changed: Tanweer from a cricket fanatic into a quiet man who always seemed to be on his way to the mosque, and Hussain from a loud and troubled teenager into a mature man seemingly at peace who sometimes sported traditional robes.

Young British Muslims often visit Pakistan or Afghanistan for religious training—past studies have indicated that more than 2,000 have made similar trips—and there's no evidence that the two men attended terrorist camps in Pakistan.

But police said they were looking at the trips as they pursued "any links overseas" to the July 7 terrorist attacks.

Police in Leeds, the city in central England where Hussain lived, again evacuated hundreds of people Thursday after finding suspicious substances in a building the bombers may have used as a "bomb factory" or headquarters.

At noon, London came to a standstill. Black cabs and double-decker buses stopped in the middle of the street. In front of the New Scotland Yard offices—the home of the Metropolitan London Police—Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair and British Home Secretary Charles Clarke stood solemnly along with hundreds of central London office workers who had come to honor the dead.

Six hours later, tens of thousands gathered in Trafalgar Square for a memorial service. Mayor Ken Livingstone said that, sadly, a moment of great joy for London—being awarded the 2012 Olympics, would forever be tied to the bombings that came the following morning.

"In seven years' time, sitting in the Olympic seats and cheering for the 200 competing teams will be those who were maimed but survived these attacks, and those whose relatives have died," he said.

———

Two images of Hussain, one of him on closed-circuit TV at the Luton rail station and his driving license picture, may be downloaded from the following Web sites.

www.met.police.uk/pressbureau/pictures/terr41-05hussaincctv.jpg

www.met.police.uk/pressbureau/pictures/terr41(underline)05hussain.jpg

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): ATTACKS-LONDON

GRAPHIC (from KRT Graphics, 202-383-6064): 20050714 ATTACKS arrests

Need to map

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1019395

May 24, 2007 04:56 AM

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story