McClatchy DC Logo

U.S. hopes for immediate progress at upcoming North Korea talks | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

U.S. hopes for immediate progress at upcoming North Korea talks

Warren P. Strobel - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 10, 2005 03:00 AM

PHUKET, Thailand—Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and her aides said Sunday they would press for immediate progress at disarmament talks with North Korea later this month, hoping to avoid the impasses that have snarled previous rounds of negotiations.

North Korea agreed Saturday to rejoin the six-nation talks over its nuclear weapons program. The talks were in limbo for 13 months.

Pyongyang's decision is "a very good thing. But it is only a start," Rice said at a press conference in Beijing before leaving for Thailand.

A senior administration official disclosed that North Korea has promised, in the upcoming talks, to respond directly for the first time to a year-old American proposal to end the crisis.

SIGN UP

The meetings are scheduled to begin in Beijing the last week of July.

"We're not interested in just having these talks to mark time," the senior official told reporters on Rice's flight to Phuket, a Thai resort devastated by last December's tsunami. "We have really emphasized the need to make progress."

The official is directly involved in the negotiations, but spoke on condition of anonymity because of diplomatic sensitivities.

The Bush administration's urgency appears to stem from the fact that North Korea is suspected of expanding its nuclear arsenal while the diplomatic process meant to disarm it has gone nowhere.

Some members of President Bush's own administration, along with Republican members of Congress, have expressed impatience with the entire effort.

U.S. officials indicated they plan an early test of whether Pyongyang is really willing to trade away its atomic weapons programs for economic and energy aid, and for assurances it will not be attacked.

"I do believe that North Korea has a bar to pass to show that it's ... determined to give up its nuclear weapons," Rice said in an interview in Beijing with Fox News, underscoring Washington's skepticism.

Yet, if the new round of talks proves as fruitless as three prior ones, President Bush has no good options.

Military action is unlikely because the North could respond by attacking U.S. ally South Korea, while American armed forces are tied down in Iraq. And economic sanctions are opposed by China, which is the North's key trading partner and has a seat on the U.N. Security Council.

The deal to revive the talks was cut Saturday by U.S. Assistant Secretary of State Christopher Hill and North Korean Vice Foreign Minister Kim Gye Gwan, over a dinner of steak and cheesecake dessert in the Chinese capital.

Hill began by repeating U.S. assurances that Bush does not question North Korea's sovereignty, the senior official said.

Kim responded by proposing to begin negotiations the week of July 25, the official said. He also agreed that North Korea would announce it is returning "for the purpose of achieving a de-nuclearization agreement," as Washington wanted.

The U.S. proposal, which has never been fully made public, calls on North Korea to make a "strategic decision" that it will abandon nuclear weapons and allow inspectors to verify that is happening.

The United States and other members of the talks—China, Japan, South Korea and Russia—would provide heavy fuel oil for North Korea's limping economy. Eventually, North Korea would be given security assurances and direct talks with the United States.

North Korean spokesmen have complained the offer is too front-loaded with demands on it, and not enough rewards.

"If they have concerns about the sequencing and front-loading, they need to tell us that," the official said, indicating American flexibility.

This round of talks is likely to continue longer than previous ones, which lasted a few days, and will try to get beyond rote recitations of long-standing positions by the sides, he said. Hill is expected to lead the U.S. delegation at the talks.

The United States helped smooth the way to the resumption of the talks by cooling its harsh rhetoric toward the regime of North Korean dictator Kim Il-sung.

At the Beijing press conference, Rice pointedly declined to repeat her earlier labeling of North Korea as among the "outposts of tyranny," which left Pyongyang fuming and demanding new assurances about its sovereignty.

"I think everyone knows our views of the North Korean regime," she said simply.

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story