McClatchy DC Logo

Distinction between Roberts' released, withheld writings questioned | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Distinction between Roberts' released, withheld writings questioned

William Douglas - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 27, 2005 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—Legal scholars and politicians from both political parties say they're puzzled by President Bush's decision to release some documents but not others from Supreme Court nominee John Roberts' work in past government jobs.

For the second consecutive day, White House aides said Wednesday they wouldn't release records from Roberts' service as deputy solicitor general under President George H. W. Bush in order to protect candid deliberations between that office and the executive branch.

But several legal experts said they see little distinction between Roberts' frank notes as a Reagan administration attorney, which have been released, and his later writings under the first Bush, which the White House will not release.

"I don't find the distinction persuasive," said Michael Dorf, a Columbia University Law School professor. "The relative nature of it can lead someone conspiracy-minded the impression they (Bush administration) have something to hide. But I'm not one of them."

SIGN UP

Democrats continued to demand the release of all documents Roberts produced during his government tenure, saying they're necessary to determine his views on legal issues.

"The White House knows that their position on the deputy solicitor general papers is not sustainable for a position as important as the Supreme Court of the United States," said Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee. "We have four weeks to examine John Roberts' record, and for the White House to set up a confrontation is counterproductive to proceedings on this nomination in a dignified manner."

The White House release-withhold strategy left even some Republican supporters of Roberts bewildered—though for reasons different from the Democrats.

"They may have their reasons in particular as to why they think some documents should be protected and others ... ," said Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pa. "My opinion is that they should all have attorney-client privilege, and that is a great concern of mine."

White House officials say the difference between the documents is that Roberts' work as a Reagan-era White House lawyer had already been released under the Presidential Records Act, which calls for records to be made public 12 years after an administration ended.

Roberts' work as deputy solicitor general isn't covered by the act, White House officials say, but instead by the Federal Records Act, which they maintain doesn't require that they be made public.

"Seven former attorney generals, in a letter, stated publicly that to make that information available would have a chilling effect on their ability to receive candid and honest and thorough advice from their staff attorneys," said White House spokesman Scott McClellan.

But some legal scholars aren't convinced. John Anthony Maltese, author of "The Selling of the Supreme Court" and a University of Georgia professor, said he's not sure what the difference is between Roberts' Reagan-era writings and his work for the first Bush administration.

"I'm sure a large part of this is a concern about setting a precedent for the insistence of certain types of documents rather than what's in them," he said. "It's a recent phenomenon for committees to seek these documents."

David Alistair Yalof, author of "Pursuit of Justice," another book about the confirmation process, believes the White House strategy behind releasing some papers but not others is to force the issue into the courts, where a decision would be delayed.

"The law allows the administration to make the (privilege) argument, but it also allows others to seek the information either through the Freedom of Information Act or public pressure," said Yalof, a University of Connecticut professor. "It might take years for courts to sift these things through, which is to the advantage of the people holding the documents."

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): SCOTUS

Need to map

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1019773

May 24, 2007 05:07 AM

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story