McClatchy DC Logo

Bush promises $50 million in aid to Palestinian Authority | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Bush promises $50 million in aid to Palestinian Authority

William Douglas - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

May 26, 2005 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—President Bush pledged Thursday to give $50 million in aid directly to the Palestinian Authority and renewed his demand that Israel stop expanding settlements in contested areas to ensure progress toward peace.

After an Oval Office meeting with Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas, Bush also announced that he's sending Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice to Jerusalem and Ramallah, West Bank, before Israel's scheduled withdrawal from the Gaza Strip this summer to help make it go smoothly.

Bush fears that any setback to Israel's settlement-withdrawal schedule could derail the U.S.-sponsored "road map" plan for peace, which is designed to end nearly five years of violence and create an independent Palestinian state.

Palestinians are wary of Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's disengagement plan in Gaza. They fear it's only a ruse for Israel to avoid broader obligations under the road-map plan for a more comprehensive withdrawal from the West Bank, where Israeli settlements have been expanding.

SIGN UP

Bush, seeking to assure Abbas, on Thursday repeated a demand he made to Sharon during their summit at Bush's Texas ranch last month that Sharon end settlement expansion.

"Israel should not undertake any activity that contravenes road-map obligations or prejudices final-status negotiations with regard to Gaza, the West Bank and Jerusalem," Bush said during a Rose Garden news conference with Abbas. "Therefore, Israel must remove unauthorized outposts and stop settlement expansion."

Bush's meeting with Abbas was his first with a Palestinian leader and the first time a Palestinian leader has been in the White House since 2000, when peace talks collapsed. Bush froze out the late Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat from negotiations because Bush considered him unreliable.

Bush signaled that Abbas is a man he can work with.

"You have made a new start on a difficult journey, requiring courage and leadership each day," Bush said. "And we will take that journey together."

Bush gently praised Abbas for his accomplishments over four months in office and gently prodded him to do more to rein in activities by militant groups such as Hamas.

Sharon maintains Abbas hasn't done enough to crack down on Palestinian weapons-smuggling and arms production.

"The United States and the international community applaud your rejection of terrorism," Bush told Abbas. "All who engage in terror are the enemies of a Palestinian state and must be held to account."

The meeting served two purposes: For Bush, it was to show Arab leaders his commitment to spreading democracy through the region and solving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

For Abbas, it was to instill confidence among Palestinians in the road map's viability, bolster his image as a leader and get much-needed assistance from Washington to help his cash-strapped government create jobs and provide services. Hamas and other militant groups offer free services such as schools and health care, which the Abbas government struggles to match.

Historically, U.S. funding to the Palestinian Authority has been funneled through nongovernmental organizations and philanthropic groups to keep it from falling into the hands of corrupt Palestinian officials.

However, the latest $50 million would not be the first direct U.S. aid to the Palestinian Authority; some $75 million went directly in 2003 for electricity and more aid earlier this year to help stage successful elections.

Bush said the $50 million in new aid would be used for housing and infrastructure projects in the Gaza Strip.

"These funds will be used to improve the quality of life of the Palestinians living in Gaza, where poverty and unemployment are very high," Bush said.

The $50 million, which comes from 2005 funding that Congress approved, will be placed in a special account under the control of the Palestinian finance minister. The money will be used for projects agreed on by the United States and the Palestinian Authority.

"We'll consult closely with the Palestinian Authority about how these dollars are used," White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan said. "There is an elaborate process in place to track the money throughout the process."

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): BUSH-ABBAS

Need to map

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1018042

May 24, 2007 04:26 AM

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story