McClatchy DC Logo

U.S. hostage pleads for his life as a series of bombs explodes in Baghdad | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

U.S. hostage pleads for his life as a series of bombs explodes in Baghdad

Gaiutra Bahadur - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 13, 2005 03:00 AM

BAGHDAD, Iraq—An American hostage in Iraq pleaded for his life and urged the U.S. government to withdraw its troops from the country in a video that aired Wednesday on the Arab satellite network Al-Jazeera.

Adam Hobson, a U.S. Embassy spokesman, identified the man as Jeffrey Ake, 47, a contractor who was kidnapped Monday while he was working at a water treatment plant in Taji, about 20 miles north of Baghdad, the capital.

The soundless video showed Ake seated behind a wooden desk, visibly shaken, with three machine guns pointed at him by men masked by kaffiyeh head scarves. He displayed what appeared to be a family photograph and his passport.

According to the Al-Jazeera announcer, Ake asked the U.S. government to work to save his life, to negotiate with the Iraqi resistance and to pull out its military as soon as possible.

SIGN UP

The tape surfaced on a day when a series of midmorning explosions shook Baghdad.

Insurgents attacked a U.S. Defense Department convoy on the road from the airport, killing five Iraqis and wounding four American contractors, said Sgt. Derek Meyer, a spokesman for the U.S. military.

The group al-Qaida in Iraq claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement on the Web. The claim couldn't be independently verified.

An hour after the first attack, a car bomb that had been identified and sealed off by American troops exploded, followed soon after by another blast 50 yards away. No one was injured. Meyer said there was a fourth explosion but could provide no further details.

The Iraqi Defense Ministry reported an attack on a U.S. convoy in eastern Baghdad that set a fuel tanker ablaze and a car bomb near a gas station at the beginning of the road to Abu Ghraib that injured three civilians.

Arab news networks reported that the blast along the airport highway was near a mosque that U.S. soldiers had raided last fall, retrieving explosives and photographs of attacks on American troops.

The kidnapped American works for Alpine, a company that has a contract to rebuild Iraq's water-treatment plants.

Ake, of LaPorte, Ind., also runs a water-bottling company in his home state called Equipment Express, which has manufactured products for use in Iraq.

He's among at least 14 Americans who have been kidnapped in the year since insurgents' beheading of Nicholas Berg, of West Chester, Pa., stunned Westerners in Iraq into an awareness of their vulnerability, even as nonmilitary targets.

Criminal gangs and insurgents have taken more than 200 foreigners captive in Iraq in the past year, and more than 30 have been killed.

Also on Wednesday, 12 Iraqi police officers who had gathered to defuse an apparent decoy bomb near Kirkuk were killed by another bomb.

———

(A Knight Ridder correspondent who couldn't be named for security reasons contributed to this article.)

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story