McClatchy DC Logo

Rice visits the U.S.-South Korean war command post | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Rice visits the U.S.-South Korean war command post

Renee Schoof - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 19, 2005 03:00 AM

SEOUL, South Korea—A Black Hawk helicopter on Saturday lifted Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice to a secret command post under a mountain outside Seoul where U.S. and South Korean military operations would be directed if war ever broke out.

Rice visited Command Post Tango during a training exercise held twice a year for several thousand U.S. forces from Guam, Hawaii and the continental United States.

Rice told U.S. and South Korean military personnel she wanted to thank them "for what you do here on the frontlines of freedom." She was the most senior U.S. official ever to visit Command Post Tango, short for Theater, Air, Naval and Ground Operations.

The U.S.-South Korean alliance, she said, is "one of the bulwarks of freedom in East Asia."

SIGN UP

Rice spoke in the communication room where Gen. Leon J. LaPorte, the four-star general who commands U.S. and South Korean forces, receives and analyzes intelligence.

Digital communication about the movement of military personnel throughout South Korea and on carriers at sea goes up on a multi-screen panel the military calls its "wall of knowledge."

Col. Mary Ann Cummings said "over several hundred" (the exact number was classified) military personnel worked full-time at the command post, a large series of corridors and rooms dug deep into a mountain covered with bare trees, pines and boulders. Reporters covering Rice's visit were the first ever allowed in.

The exact location also was secret—"south of Seoul," Cummings said—but close enough to the capital to put it in range of North Korean artillery. The De-Militarized Zone between North and South Korea is just about 30 miles from the South Korean capital.

The ongoing training exercise covers battle command, staging and moving troops and protecting, tracking and sustaining them in a war.

There are 32,500 American service personnel in South Korea—down from 37,500 last year.

Rice thanked South Koreans for their service in Iraq and Afghanistan. She also noted that some people transferred to Iraq from the joint command in South Korea had been killed.

"We know that nothing of value is ever earned without sacrifice," she said.

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

ARCHIVE PHOTOS on KRT Direct (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): Condoleezza Rice

Need to map

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story