McClatchy DC Logo

Europe, U.S. team up on approach to Iran | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Europe, U.S. team up on approach to Iran

Jonathan S. Landay - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 11, 2005 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—Britain, France and Germany affirmed Friday that they would join the United States in seeking United Nations sanctions against Iran if the Tehran regime spurns a deal to abandon a program that could be used to produce fuel for nuclear weapons.

The trio's statement fulfilled their end of an agreement with the United States on forging a common diplomatic approach to Iran's nuclear program, which the Bush administration charges is aimed at developing a nuclear arsenal.

The Bush administration confirmed that it wouldn't object to the so-called European Union Three offering Iran modest economic incentives to give up its program to purify, or enrich, uranium.

"I'm pleased that we are speaking with one voice with our European friends," President Bush said during a visit to Shreveport, La.

SIGN UP

Iran suspended the uranium enrichment program in November when it opened negotiations with the EU Three.

In exchange for Tehran permanently halting its program, the EU would support Iran's entry to the World Trade Organization, a process that could take years. European firms also would sell spare parts for Iran's aging U.S.-made Boeing passenger jets.

The Bush administration would stop blocking Iran's WTO application and would issue the export licenses that European firms need to sell the Boeing spare parts.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice issued a statement confirming that the Bush administration wouldn't oppose the EU's offer of economic incentives to Iran.

The Bush administration had previously rejected any EU move that could be interpreted as rewarding Iran and sought to send the matter to the United Nations Security Council.

The coordinated U.S.-European statements were meant to take the focus off of the trans-Atlantic differences and put it back on Iran's behavior.

Iran, which denies it's seeking nuclear weapons and insists that it has the right under international law to enrich uranium to low levels for civilian electric power reactors, had no immediate response to the EU and U.S. moves.

Fears that Iran is developing nuclear weapons have grown since revelations starting in 2003 that it had for years been secretly buying technologies that could be used to develop nuclear weapons from a Pakistan-based smuggling network.

Iran was required as a signatory of the Non-Proliferation Treaty to inform the International Atomic Energy Agency, a U.N. watchdog organization, of the purchases, but it did not.

Britain, France and Germany on Friday circulated to other EU members a report on the status of negotiations they've been holding with Iran in Geneva.

The report said the talks have focused on reaching an agreement on "objective guarantees that Iran's nuclear programme is exclusively for peaceful purposes."

European officials said "objective guarantees" was diplomatic code for the requirement that Iran abandon its uranium enrichment program.

The report said the dispute could be resolved without referring the matter to the U.N. Security Council for possible sanctions as long as Tehran kept its uranium enrichment program in suspension under IAEA monitoring. It also would have to provide "full cooperation" to IAEA inspectors.

"If, on the other hand, despite our efforts, Iran does not do so and this is confirmed by the IAEA Director General ... we shall have no choice but to support referring Iran's nuclear program to the U.N. Security Council," it continued.

"We are united in our determination that Iran should not acquire a nuclear weapons program," the letter said.

Joseph Cirincione, an arms control expert with the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace who returned this week from a conference in Iran on its nuclear program, said in an interview that every Iranian official he spoke to "discounted" the EU's offer of economic incentives.

"They said these were trivial issues and this was really about Iran's right to have access to nuclear energy and energy sources of the future," said Cirincione. "The Iranians did not discuss the outlines of the deal they wanted. The good news is they said in essence, `Make us an offer.' I left with the distinct impression that they were open to a deal."

———

(Warren P. Strobel contributed to this report.)

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story