McClatchy DC Logo

Budget includes funds for study of nuclear bunker buster | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Budget includes funds for study of nuclear bunker buster

Jonathan S. Landay - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

February 07, 2005 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—The Bush administration is trying to resurrect a controversial study into whether a nuclear weapon could be designed to burrow deep into the earth and destroy underground bunkers.

Congress killed the study last year, partly out of concern that it undercut U.S. efforts to curb other countries' development of nuclear weapons.

Under the administration's proposed 2006 federal budget, the Department of Energy would spend $4 million on the so-called Robust Nuclear Earth Penetrator study, while the Department of Defense would contribute $4.5 million.

The Energy Department, the builder and caretaker of the nation's nuclear arsenal, would spend another $14 million in 2007, the final year of the study, while the Defense Department would spend $3.5 million, according to budget documents and officials.

SIGN UP

While the amounts are small compared with proposed overall defense spending in 2006 of about $440 billion, which includes the Department of Energy's nuclear weapons budget, the attempt to restart the study could ignite a bruising fight with Congress.

"Congress clearly rejected the Bush administration's request for bunker busters and other nuclear weapons last year," said Rep. Edward Markey, D-Mass., a leading critic of the study, which started in May 2003.

The drive last year to cancel the study's funding was led by Rep. David Hobson, R-Ohio, who was then the chairman of a House of Representatives subcommittee that oversees the Department of Energy's nuclear weapons budget. He's expected to retain the post in the new Congress.

At the time, Hobson contended that the study and other administration nuclear-weapons initiatives undermine U.S. security by encouraging other countries to pursue nuclear arsenals.

He and other opponents of the bunker-busting bomb argued that the money would be better spent ensuring that the nation's existing nuclear weapons remain safe and reliable as they get older.

Hobson declined at a conference last week to say how he would treat an administration attempt to restore the money for the study.

An aide, speaking on condition of anonymity, said only that Hobson would "give the president's budget serious and fair consideration."

Administration officials have expressed concerns about growing numbers of deeply buried underground bunkers in countries such as North Korea, which they contend could be used to develop or store nuclear, biological or chemical weapons.

The bunker-buster study is aimed at determining whether the nuclear explosive packages of two existing warheads—the B-61 and the B-83—could be housed in a casing capable of burrowing deep into earth and rock before exploding.

Proponents argue that the shockwaves would destroy underground facilities but the explosions deep underground wouldn't release large amounts of radioactivity that could kill a lot of civilians.

Opponents respond that it's impossible to limit such fallout or build a bomb casing that could withstand the impact of being dropped from high altitudes.

They contend that conventional precision-guided bombs could be used to seal the entrances and ventilation systems of deeply buried bunkers.

The proposed DOE funds for 2006 and 2007 would go to the Sandia National Laboratory for tests in which bomb cases on high-speed sleds would ram into concrete targets, according to Anson Franklin, a DOE spokesman.

The Defense Department would use its proposed funds for tests in which bomb cases would be dropped from aircraft, according to congressional officials.

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story