McClatchy DC Logo

Inauguration will feature `unprecedented security' | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Inauguration will feature `unprecedented security'

Frank Davies - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 11, 2005 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—The first inauguration since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks will lock down much of the nation's capital with "unprecedented security," Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge announced Tuesday.

An army of 6,000-plus police officers, more than 2,500 military personnel and thousands of Secret Service and other agents from 60 agencies will employ the latest high-tech gear and surveillance to protect the 55th inaugural on Jan. 20.

"Security will be the highest levels it has ever been for any inauguration," Ridge said. "We will have 24-7 surveillance of key inaugural facilities."

While he knew of no specific threats targeting President Bush's second inaugural, Ridge added that an inauguration is "the most visible manifestation of our democracy."

SIGN UP

To protect the swearing-in ceremony on the west side of the Capitol and the parade along Pennsylvania Avenue, security teams will use chemical sensors, jet fighter patrols overhead and dozens of bomb-sniffing dogs. Agents in a new command center in suburban Fairfax County, equipped with giant plasma screens and three-dimensional maps, will monitor all events.

Many of the plans and tactics were used at last year's national political conventions, the state funeral for Ronald Reagan and the opening of the World War II Memorial.

One innovation is a bomb-jamming device used in Iraq to foil the detonation of explosives. Army Maj. Gen. Galen Jackman, in charge of coordinating much of the security, said bomb squads, emergency medical teams and even an engineering unit to deal with collapsed buildings will be on standby.

"This is the center of gravity for our country," Jackman said. "We do not underestimate our enemies."

Large swaths of downtown Washington will be closed to traffic, and parking garage use and truck deliveries will be tightly restricted. Two Metro subway stations will be closed much of the day. The no-fly zone for private planes will be extended to a radius of 23 miles from the city's center.

Many of the major law and lobbying firms along the parade route are cutting back on traditional parties because of anticipated problems for guests and deliveries getting through checkpoints.

Several groups plan to protest Bush's second term, and D.C. Police Chief Charles Ramsey said protesters and other members of the public would have access to the parade route, subject to screenings and searches.

But protest signs cannot be attached to anything that could be a weapon, the Secret Service announced. No picnic baskets, large backpacks, strollers or umbrellas will be allowed along the parade route.

Despite the widespread cooperation between 60 different agencies, there was one source of friction Tuesday. Unlike previous such events, the Bush administration is refusing to reimburse the District of Columbia for costs associated with the inauguration.

That could amount to $11.9 million that has to come from other local sources or federal grants for long-range security measures, complained Mayor Anthony Williams.

"There is still a disconnect between the federal government and the district over the cost of the inauguration," said P.J. Crowley, a former Pentagon spokesman and senior fellow at the Center for American Progress, a liberal think tank.

While D.C. residents and workers are chafing over some of the restrictions during inauguration week, most have become used to the heightened security since 2001. The era when presidents walked the parade route or rode in open carriages and cars is long past.

"It's critical that the inauguration goes safely," said Michael Greenberger, who heads the Center for Health and Homeland Security at the University of Maryland.

"Any balancing between public participation and the safety of the president and other officials will come down on the side of safety," Greenberger said.

———

(Davies reports for The Miami Herald.)

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): INAUGURAL-SECURITY

GRAPHIC (from KRT Graphics, 202-383-6064): 20050111 Inaug security

Need to map

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1013689

May 24, 2007 02:24 AM

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story