McClatchy DC Logo

Indonesia's rebels will resume fight, local commander says | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Indonesia's rebels will resume fight, local commander says

Ken Moritsugu - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 14, 2005 03:00 AM

LAMNO, Indonesia—Last month's tsunami swept away Indonesian rebel staging areas for attacks on government forces, but the rebels had few casualties and will resume fighting for the independence of Aceh province, a local rebel commander said Friday.

The interview with the commander, who declined to give his name but whose men said he led four regiments totaling 720 men, was the first inside view of how the tsunami has affected communities controlled by Free Aceh Movement guerrillas, who have waged a three-decade-long war on Indonesia's central government.

The commander asked that the name of the village where he was interviewed not be revealed, for fear of military retaliation.

The village, which was undamaged by the tsunami, is one of more than 30 near Lamno, where the Indonesian government has established a relief center. The rebels in the village are providing food to about 60 refugees who have sought shelter there. The military "doesn't want to give food aid here because this is a rebel base," the commander said.

SIGN UP

Most rebel fighters survived the onslaught, the commander said, because their redoubts are largely inland. But the rebels, including the commander, lost family members who lived along the coast. The commander said both his parents perished.

The rebels declared a cease-fire after the tsunami, and many came down from their hiding places to help find the dead and bury them. But the commander and his subordinates offered no hope that the cease-fire would lead to long-term peace, though they didn't say when or under what conditions fighting would resume.

"This disaster is irrelevant to the political situation in Aceh," said one of the commander's subordinates, a regimental officer who leads 160 men.

The commander said secret port facilities that were lost when the tsunami swept a seaside village away would be replaced. "We lost lots of bases and secret ports," he said, "but we believe we can build new ones."

Indonesian officials have cited the rebels as the primary reason for requiring foreign aid workers to get government permission before traveling outside the provincial capital, Banda Aceh, or Meulaboh, another devastated Aceh city.

But the rebels encountered Friday made no effort to challenge a reporter and photographer who entered the village unannounced, and the commander dismissed as "propaganda" government suggestions that the rebels were a threat to aid workers.

An Indonesian army officer in Lamno said later that the rebels hadn't disrupted relief operations in the area.

"The separatist movement doesn't impact our relief effort," said 1st Lt. Ramli Saragih, who is in charge of Lamno and the surrounding area. "They don't hinder us from doing our relief operations. Everything we plan runs smoothly and is under control."

Saragih said the military wasn't keeping food from the refugees—a charge made not only by the rebel commander but also by refugees in Lamno. The military guards the aid in warehouses, he said, but local civilian officials are responsible for distributing it through eight centers.

The tiny village, approached down a dirt path through a wide expanse of scraggly rice and vegetable fields, looks like any other in poor, rural Indonesia: a small cluster of ramshackle wooden houses built around a concrete building that is the town center. About 200 people live there.

At first, the rebels there were hard to pick out. But it soon became apparent that a small group of young men—wearing jeans and T-shirts, with rifles slung over their shoulders—wasn't a gathering of local rice tillers.

None of the rebels would give his name.

The commander was barefoot and sat cross-legged with a few of his men on a raised wooden platform under a corrugated metal roof, an AK-47 rifle resting on his lap.

The tsunami stopped about a mile from the village. In the days afterward, refugees from the coast made their way inland, some stopping for assistance, but most continuing to Lamno, where the military is helping to bring in food and medical supplies and where refugees receive a cup of uncooked rice a day and instant soup noodles.

The diet is short on protein but more than those who stayed in the rebel-held village seemed to be getting.

"We do the best we can," one of the rebel commander's subordinates said. People in other undamaged villages nearby donated the food, the commander said.

Still, some families think they're better off in the village than in Lamno. Many Achenese remain wary of the military, whose presence often had been unwelcome in the area as it sought to quash the rebel movement.

"I want to stay here," said Cut Maneh, 40, who said she heard that Indonesian troops were hoarding rice instead of giving it to refugees. "There is no food in Lamno. Even if there is some, only certain people get it."

No relief workers have been seen in the village, and none is expected. The commander said that both the military and the rebels had suffered in the tsunami. But he said that right now, the rebels were focused on making sure that the tsunami's victims received the help they needed.

"Both sides lost quite a number of assets," he said. "We lost (staging) areas, and the military lost office buildings. But the main victims were the people."

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): TSUNAMI-REBELS

GRAPHIC (from KRT Graphics, 202-383-6064): 20041231 TSUNAMI Aceh

Need to map

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1005468

May 24, 2007 02:28 AM

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story