McClatchy DC Logo

Iraq sets elections for Jan. 30, despite violence and calls for boycott | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Iraq sets elections for Jan. 30, despite violence and calls for boycott

Omar Jassim - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

November 21, 2004 03:00 AM

BAGHDAD, Iraq—Iraq's Electoral Commission announced Sunday that Iraq will hold national elections Jan. 30, despite heavy violence throughout much of the nation and dozens of political and religious parties threatening boycott.

If held, the elections could be the closest thing to a fully democratic national selection process since the British ceded rule to a series of Iraqi kings, who were followed by revolution and dictatorship.

The elections would select a 275-member national assembly that would draft a permanent constitution. Presidential election would follow by the end of 2005.

Commission chair Hussein Hendawi said 198 parties and individuals already had filed to run and that 126 had been approved.

SIGN UP

"It was a very large number and we feel proud about that," he said.

But at least 46 Iraqi religious and political parties have announced that they will not participate in the electoral process, many of them because of fighting in Fallujah.

Among them are some Shiite Muslims, including firebrand cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, who has widespread support in Baghdad's Sadr City neighborhood, a slum of more than 2 million.

Iraqi officials have insisted that elections would be held by the end of January, in spite of violence in the country, and followers of Shiite leader Grand Ayatollah Ali al Husseini al-Sistani have suggested the country would risk widespread unrest in the elections weren't held by then.

But many leaders from the minority Sunni population have opposed the elections, saying they are being held too soon and have been structured in such a way that Sunnis, many of whom enjoyed privilege and power under Saddam Hussein, will be permanently disenfranchised.

Commission members said they planned to extend polling to even the most dangerous of Iraqi hotspots, including cities such as Fallujah and Ramadi to the west, and areas south of Baghdad, where carjackings and assassinations are common.

"The issue of security is left to the government, and that totally belongs to the government to decide which kind of forces they are use," said Safwat Rashid, a member of the commission. "We assume that Iraqi police and Iraqi national guard are enough to protect the polling stations."

Hendawi said international election observers would be welcomed, though it was unclear who would send them.

The announcement came even as scores of insurgents attacked a police station in Baghdad, pounding it with mortar rounds, rocket-propelled grenades and rifle fire for hours before being driven off by U.S. and Iraqi government forces.

Violence also hit the city of Ramadi, where eight Iraqi national guardsmen were killed and 18 wounded in an insurgent ambush, and U.S. Marines fired on a minibus of civilians, killing at least three and wounding five. The Marines said the vehicle failed to stop at a checkpoint.

———

(Jassim is a Knight Ridder Newspapers special correspondent in Iraq.)

———

(c) 2004, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story