McClatchy DC Logo

Chile's high court rejects appeal, rules Pinochet can stand trial | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Chile's high court rejects appeal, rules Pinochet can stand trial

Helen Hughes and Kevin G. Hall - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 04, 2005 03:00 AM

SANTIAGO, Chile—Chile's highest court ruled Tuesday that ex-president Augusto Pinochet can stand trial on kidnapping and murder charges despite his advanced age, boosting hopes among his detractors for a high-profile human-rights trial.

In a 3-2 vote, the Supreme Tribunal rejected an appeal by Pinochet's lawyers, who argued that Pinochet, 89, could not face charges because he had been ruled mentally unfit for trial in 2002. The court said the 2002 ruling had no bearing on the legality of the current charges and that there was enough evidence to justify a trial.

Still pending, however, is a separate appeal based on the general's mental fitness. His lawyers have argued that he suffers from age-related dementia and can't properly defend himself. The court hasn't said when it will rule on that specific issue.

Wheelchair bound and diabetic, Pinochet no longer cuts the fearsome image, in sunglasses and Prussian-style military uniform, that he did after seizing power on Sept. 11, 1973, in a bloody U.S.-backed coup. Official reports say 3,198 were killed in political violence during his 17 years in power and more than 27,000 people were tortured.

SIGN UP

But the court's endorsement of the legal underpinning for the one murder and nine kidnapping charges against him heartened those who have long sought his prosecution.

Eduardo Contreras, a human-rights lawyer involved in several cases against Pinochet, said attorneys would now push to have Pinochet booked and fingerprinted "like any delinquent." Pinochet was spared the indignity in 2002, when similar charges were brought against him, only to be thrown out when the Supreme Tribunal ruled that Pinochet's mental condition was too deteriorated to try him.

"After 30 years, finally justice is beginning to be served," said Miriam Tamayo outside the courtroom.

Tamayo's brother Manuel Jesus disappeared in March 1976 in Mendoza, Argentina, allegedly the victim of a South America-wide pact among military governments in the 1970s to pool intelligence to capture, torture or kill their political opponents throughout the region.

That agreement, known as Operation Condor, was the subject of a probe by investigative Judge Juan Guzman that led to the charges against Pinochet.

Regardless of what the court eventually rules regarding Pinochet's mental capacity, Tuesday's court ruling insures that Guzman's probe of Operation Condor will continue. Several officials from the Pinochet regime are facing charges in connection with the Operation Condor probe.

The Supreme Tribunal's ruling came after more than two years of legal maneuvering once the court ruled that Pinochet's dementia was too severe for him to be tried.

Guzman reopened the case against Pinochet after the ex-president appeared in a television interview broadcast in Miami showing clear control of his mental faculties. Then, earlier this year, a judge looking into Pinochet's undeclared millions discovered that the ex-dictator still managed his secret accounts.

The charges affected by Tuesday's ruling are not the only cases against Pinochet proceeding through the Chilean legal system.

Pinochet also faces potential trial for the 1974 killing in Buenos Aires, Argentina, of his predecessor as head of the army, Gen. Carlos Prats. That case is advancing through the courts rapidly but also hangs on the question of Pinochet's mental health.

Chilean tax authorities and another investigative judge are also looking into at least $12 million in undeclared money that Pinochet hid in offshore accounts managed by Riggs Bank of Washington, D.C.

———

(Knight Ridder Newspapers special correspondent Hughes reported from Santiago, Hall from Washington.)

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

ARCHIVE PHOTOS on KRT Direct (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): Augusto Pinochet

Need to map

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story