McClatchy DC Logo

Video shows insurgents planning attack on military base | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Video shows insurgents planning attack on military base

Nancy A. Youssef - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 26, 2004 03:00 AM

BAGHDAD, Iraq—The suicide bomber who killed 22 people and injured dozens hugged his comrades goodbye and asked that God welcome him as a martyr before he detonated the deadliest the explosion to date on a military base in Iraq, according to a chilling video released on Sunday.

The bombing killed 22 people, including 18 Americans. Officials believe a suicide bomber dressed in an Iraqi National Guard uniform detonated himself inside the camp's mess tent.

On Sunday, however, a top Iraqi Army commander told The Associated Press that his investigation has determined that the bomber wasn't a member of the Iraqi National Guard, despite wearing a Guard uniform. Instead, Iraqi Armed Forces' Chief of Staff Gen. Babaker B. Shawkat Zebari suggested, the bomber bought the uniform illegally.

In an interview, Zebari said, "certainly he (the bomber) was not a member of the National Guards because all of our men stationed in the base have been accounted for."

SIGN UP

The two-minute video, posted on a Web site used by Islamic extremists, purportedly shows the attackers preparing the day before and the attack unfolding at Forward Operating Base Marez in the northwestern Iraqi town of Mosul.

It also shows someone using a bayonet to point out buildings on a map of the base. There's a mark to indicate the mess hall where the bomb exploded at lunchtime.

The tape begins with three men sitting in front of a banner for the Iraqi militant group the Army of Ansar al Sunna. The man sitting in the center reads a statement, saying the group carried out the attack to strike "fear in the hearts of the crusaders and their apostate lackeys," naming President Bush, British Prime Minister Tony Blair and Iraqi interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi.

In his statement, the man identifies the attacker as Abu Omar al Museli and asks God to accept him as an Islamic martyr. The men embraced the suicide bomber before cutting to video of a faraway shot of the mess tent.

According to the timer at the bottom right of the screen, a huge fireball rose from the tent at 12:03:58. Fire zips down the one side of the metal poles holding up the mess tent.

In the final shot, someone is driving past blue and white blast walls that surround the base, and zooms in on a hole left by the explosion.

It was unclear where the video was made, but at least part of it appeared to be shot from outside the base. While he hasn't seen the tape, Lt. Col. Steve Boylan, an American military spokesman, said filming outside a U.S. base isn't prohibited.

U.S. military officials announced earlier this week that Brig. Gen. Richard Formica would lead an investigation into how a suicide bomber penetrated the base. That investigation would include obtaining any necessary information from Iraqi officials, said Capt. Joseph Ludvigson of Task Force Olympia, the Mosul-based U.S. military force.

Ludvigson said he hadn't heard about Zebari's finding, but said "it strikes me as speculative."

In other developments, a senior Iraqi policeman was assassinated and two of his bodyguards were injured in southwestern Baghdad on Sunday. The policeman was headed to work, said Col. Adnan Abdul Rahman, a spokesman for the Iraqi Interior Ministry.

A sedan with three gunmen blocked the car of Brig. Gen. Yaseen Ibrahim Jawad, a commander of the Baghdad civil defense force. The men then attacked Jawad's car. His bodyguards were transported to Al Yarmok Hospital, where they're being treated.

———

(Youssef reports for the Detroit Free Press.)

———

(c) 2004, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story