McClatchy DC Logo

Soldier who killed unarmed Iraqi discharged to face lesser charges | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Soldier who killed unarmed Iraqi discharged to face lesser charges

Drew Brown - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 21, 2004 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—A U.S. soldier was discharged from the Army for manslaughter rather than charged with murder for shooting an unarmed Iraqi prisoner last year, despite the fact that Army investigators found sufficient evidence to press the murder charge, Pentagon records released Tuesday show.

The records also show that military investigators examined allegations that U.S. military dog handlers at Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison held a competition to see who could make Iraqi detainees urinate on themselves the fastest.

Soldiers with the 519th Military Intelligence Battalion were cleared of charges in the September 2003 incident after Army investigators could find no evidence to support allegations that the soldiers had attempted to frighten prisoners with dogs so they would urinate on themselves.

The Army criminal investigators did find that a specialist with the 4th Forward Support Battalion, 4th Infantry Division, may have committed murder when he shot an unarmed prisoner at Camp Packhorse, near Tikrit, also in September 2003. The soldier, whose name was omitted from the investigative records, told military police he thought the prisoner was trying to escape.

SIGN UP

But Army investigators found that the soldier, who's identified only as an electronic-devices repairman, probably "acted out of malice and went immediately to deadly force when it likely wasn't warranted," according to handwritten field notes.

The incident occurred Sept. 11, 2003, but wasn't reported to Army criminal investigators until four days later. When an investigator followed up on the case Nov. 20, an Army lawyer at Camp Packhorse told the investigator that the soldier had been administratively punished for voluntary manslaughter on Nov. 12, reduced to the lowest rank of private and discharged from the Army.

There's no explanation in the records of why the soldier was charged with the lesser crime and discharged, instead of facing a murder charge. The Army closed its investigation.

Neither the Defense Department nor the Army had any immediate comment Tuesday.

The American Civil Liberties Union, which released the records of the case, expressed concern that "commanders short-circuited the investigation and prosecution ... rather than seeking fair and full justice."

The records were among hundreds of documents the ACLU released Tuesday on internal Army investigations into crimes allegedly committed by U.S. soldiers in Iraq. They were among the latest in a slew of government documents the ACLU has released that cover abuse by American service members in Iraq, Afghanistan and the detention center at the U.S. naval base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

While the documents the ACLU has made public in recent weeks illustrate that some troops in Iraq and elsewhere have committed human-rights abuses, questions remain about how far up the chain of command the responsibility for these actions goes. Senior defense officials, including Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld, have laid the blame on lower-ranking soldiers and a lax command atmosphere in some units. However, some critics, including the ACLU, charge that responsibility goes much higher.

Tuesday's documents detail about four dozen cases in which Army criminal investigators looked into accusations of soldiers assaulting, robbing, mistreating and killing Iraqi civilians and prisoners.

There were at least seven shooting incidents, including that of the soldier who was discharged. In five of those cases, the soldiers were cleared of any wrongdoing and were found to have acted within the rules of engagement.

In many of the lesser incidents, soldiers were found guilty and punished. Many of the punishments consisted of reprimands, reductions in rank and forfeiture of pay.

In at least a dozen cases in which the Army investigated the deaths of prisoners, the causes were determined to be natural.

In one incident, a tower guard at Abu Ghraib was reprimanded for not following the rules of engagement for shooting and killing a civilian outside the prison.

According to the Pentagon, 128 service members have been punished or are awaiting court-martial. Only one general has been relieved of command.

———

(c) 2004, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story