McClatchy DC Logo

U.S. to boost troop strength in Iraq | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

U.S. to boost troop strength in Iraq

Drew Brown - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 01, 2004 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—The United States plans to increase its military force in Iraq by 12,000 soldiers and Marines, bringing combat strength to the highest level since the invasion in 2003.

Officials who announced the plan Wednesday said it was designed to step up pressure on insurgents, who've been locked in fierce battles with U.S. and allied Iraqi forces for the past month, and to improve overall security in advance of Iraq's Jan. 30 election.

"It's mainly to provide security for the elections, but it's also to keep up pressure on the insurgency after the Fallujah operation," said Army Brig. Gen. David Rodriguez, deputy director of regional operations, who briefed reporters on the plan.

U.S. and Iraqi forces troops launched a massive, two-pronged offensive last month designed to sweep Iraqi and foreign guerillas from Fallujah and other strongholds in Anbar province west of Baghdad and from a vast area south of the capital. More than 130 U.S. soldiers died in November, making it the deadliest month for American forces since the war began.

SIGN UP

U.S. military forces are stretched thin as a result of the war in Iraq and the war against the Taliban and al-Qaida insurgency in Afghanistan.

The Pentagon plans to find the extra forces for Iraq by extending combat tours of approximately 10,400 soldiers. In addition, Marines already there will have their tours upped by as much as two months and an additional 1,500 fresh soldiers will join the battle.

The troops whose tours have been extended include: 4,400 soldiers from the 2nd Brigade, 25th Infantry Division, Schofield Barracks, Hawaii; 3,500 soldiers from the 1st Brigade, 1st Calvary Division, Fort Hood, Texas; and 2,300 Marines from the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit, Okinawa, Japan.

An additional 160 soldiers from the 66th Transportation Company, based in Germany, also have been told they will not be returning home for another two months.

In addition, 1,500 paratroopers from the 82nd Airborne Division out of Ft. Bragg, N.C., received notice Tuesday that they will be sent to Iraq for as long as 120 days. They will replace soldiers with the 1st Calvary Division, currently assigned to Baghdad, freeing those troops up to join the offensive outside the Iraqi capital.

Rodriguez and other officials said Army Gen. George Casey, commander of multinational forces in Iraq, requested the extension because he wanted experienced and battle-hardened soldiers to keep pressure on the insurgents. Combat tours in Iraq are generally limited to 12 months. Under the plan, those currently in Iraq would remain up to 14 months.

The increase would bring the total number of U.S. forces in Iraq to just below 150,000, approximately the same number that took part in the 2003 invasion.

Rodriguez and other officials said there were no plans to accelerate deployment of other units, including the 3rd Infantry Division, which led the charge to Baghdad last year and now is scheduled to return beginning in mid-January. Troop strength should return to current levels by March, Rodriguez said, though he acknowledged he could make no guarantees.

With the war in Iraq growing increasingly unpopular, especially among Democrats, the Pentagon announcement drew immediate fire from Capitol Hill.

Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I., who helped push successfully for an amendment earlier this year to add more troops to the Army, said the announcement means U.S. involvement could last for years to come. Some war critics have suggested that the United States should withdraw from Iraq after the Jan. 30 election.

"This announcement makes it clear that commanders in Iraq need more troops and that this will be a long and very expensive process for the United States," said Reed, who visited Iraq last month. "It is still not clear whether Iraq will emerge from this chronic violence as a viable and stable country."

———

(c) 2004, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story