McClatchy DC Logo

Humanitarian group's director kidnapped among increasing threats | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Humanitarian group's director kidnapped among increasing threats

Nancy A. Youssef and Hannah Allam - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

October 19, 2004 03:00 AM

BAGHDAD, Iraq—Kidnappers on Tuesday grabbed the Iraq director of CARE International, a humanitarian group dedicated to poverty relief that's operated in Iraq since 1991.

Margaret Hassan, the director of CARE's Iraq office, stopped her car on the way to work Tuesday morning. The kidnappers reportedly called her name and told her they needed to speak to her about business matters. She walked over, and they took her.

The abduction of one of the country's leading humanitarian workers occurred in the midst of evacuations by journalists, humanitarian workers, even security personnel, who said the threats were increasing.

Hassan has lived here for more than 25 years, spending much of that time as a humanitarian worker. Although born in Britain, Hassan is an Iraqi national. She also had Irish citizenship, Iraqi government officials said.

SIGN UP

The sharp uptick in violence began last week, coinciding with the start of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan. Kidnappings, car bombings, ambushes, church attacks and mortar fire are all part of insurgents' plans to disrupt security in Iraq before the U.S. elections in November and Iraqi parliamentary elections scheduled for January, military officials have said.

Many foreigners working here said the room for any security error was decreasing by the day.

Hassan, who's in her mid-60s, was briefly shown on a videotape delivered to the al Jazeera satellite TV network, but the tape didn't make clear who'd kidnapped her or what the kidnappers wanted.

On the tape, Hassan was seated alone on a couch. She was speaking, although the tape shown didn't play any audio. No one else appeared on the tape, and Hassan had no visible injuries. The video showed copies of her identification, credit cards and CARE business cards. She appeared distressed.

"As of now, we are unaware of the motives for the abduction," said a statement from CARE International that was released in London, where the group is based. "As far as we know, Margaret is unharmed."

CARE representatives wouldn't say whether Hassan had any security guards. She was highly aware of how the eroding security situation was affecting the nation, in particular the effort to rebuild.

In May 2003 she told Knight Ridder: "The whole place will explode if we don't have security. ... It's a very, very serious situation, and I can't see anything moving forward until this is right."

In November, CARE Australia received death threats, prompting the group to leave at Hassan's suggestion, CARE's chief executive officer, Robert Glasser, told the newspaper The Australian.

"I spoke to our Iraq country director, Margaret Hassan, and she has grave fears for the safety of our staff—it is simply too dangerous for our people to stay," Glasser told the newspaper.

Part of the Iraqi police's kidnapping unit will help with the investigation, said Sabah Kadhim, a spokesman for the Interior Ministry. The British Embassy here also is investigating, he said.

Some Iraqi police officers were training for the new kidnapping unit when Hassan was taken, Kadhim said. They were learning how to handle such situations, he said.

A barrage of enemy mortar shells killed at least four Iraqi national guardsmen and wounded 80 on Tuesday as they lined up for training at a camp about 25 miles north of Baghdad, U.S. military officials said.

Insurgents fired up to six rounds in the fatal attack on the Tarmiyah national guard base just as recruits assembled for morning formation, a senior Iraqi Defense Ministry official said.

The official, who didn't want his name published for fear of retaliation, said the attack appeared to be revenge for recent arrests and weapons confiscations in the area.

"They are targeting the national guard and the police because they are executing operations that suffocate the resistance," the official said. "They don't want the government or the security systems to work. They want to obstruct us so they can create chaos in this country."

———

(Youssef reports for the Detroit Free Press.)

———

(c) 2004, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story