McClatchy DC Logo

Allawi expands weapons buy-back in Iraq | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Allawi expands weapons buy-back in Iraq

Nancy A. Youssef - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

October 18, 2004 03:00 AM

BAGHDAD, Iraq—Interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi said Monday that a cash-for-arms program in Baghdad's Sadr City would be extended and expanded to other Iraqi cities.

He told Iraq's interim national council that a successful weapons handover could make it easier for the country to organize elections planned for January, and he suggested extending the program to the embattled city of Fallujah.

The weapons collection program got off to a slow start last week. It was extended past its original Friday deadline after the U.S. military said that only about 25 percent of estimated weapons had been turned in following a deal with rebel Shiite Muslim cleric Muqtada al-Sadr.

U.S. officials said that the pace of weapons collection increased over the weekend, although they wouldn't say how many weapons had been turned in.

SIGN UP

Meanwhile, in London, in a speech before the House of Commons, British Defense Secretary Geoff Hoon said the government is considering a U.S. request to redeploy some British troops from southern Iraq, where they currently are based.

He stressed that though his government received the request on Oct. 10, no decision has been made. Australia said it received a similar request but turned down the Americans.

"The U.S. request is for a limited number of U.K. ground forces to be made available to relieve U.S. forces to allow them in turn to participate in further operations elsewhere in Iraq to maintain the continuing pressure on terrorists," Hoon said.

He didn't say where the British troops would be deployed but said they wouldn't be in Fallujah—the center of the insurgent fighting—or in Baghdad.

But in Baghdad, many Iraqis said they would welcome the British presence as an alternative to the Americans, saying they believe the British have more experience and would treat them better.

"I think that the British have more experience, as they are an old colonial country, as they occupied Iraq, India and other countries," said Doraid Mohammed Ali, 31, who works in a fashion shop. "The news that we were hearing is that they are better than the Americans and they are doing a good job in Basra, but I didn't see it myself."

Hoon dismissed suggestions that the troop consideration was timed to coincide with the U.S. presidential election on Nov. 2.

"We want to make clear that the request is a military request, and although it is linked to elections, it is not linked to the U.S. elections, but with efforts to create the best possible security situation in which to hold the Iraq elections in January," Hoon said.

In Fallujah, the chief negotiator representing the city in peace talks was freed from detention Monday. U.S. officials held Sheik Khaled al-Jumeili for three days following the breakdown of talks with the Iraqi government and insurgents in the city. U.S. officials accused him of representing militants.

After his release in Fallujah, al-Jumeili said he would suspend his participation in the peace talks as a protest against his detention.

———

(Knight Ridder Newspapers special correspondent David George contributed to this report.)

———

(c) 2004, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story