McClatchy DC Logo

3 U.S. soldiers charged in death of Iraqi detainee | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

3 U.S. soldiers charged in death of Iraqi detainee

Elise Ackerman - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 02, 2004 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—Three American soldiers have been charged with manslaughter in the drowning of a 19-year-old Iraqi who was forced into the Tigris River, and a fourth soldier has been charged with assault, the Army announced Friday.

According to a brief Army statement, the incident occurred Jan. 3 and involved two Iraqi detainees. The Army didn't provide details of the case, but a British newspaper, The Independent, which interviewed the surviving detainee, reported that the two men were ordered into the river at gunpoint after their pickup was stopped close to curfew on a nearby road.

Marwan Fadhil told The Independent that the soldiers were laughing when they forced them into the river. He said his cousin, Zeidun Fadhil, drowned because he couldn't swim.

The Army identified the soldiers as Spc. Terry Bowman, Lt. Jack M. Saville, Sgt. Reggie Martinez and Sgt. 1st Class Tracy E. Perkins.

SIGN UP

Lt. Col. Jonathan Withington said the soldiers were assigned to the 4th Infantry Division at Fort Carson, Colo., and had been in Iraq for about nine months at the time.

If convicted of manslaughter, Saville, Perkins and Martinez could face a maximum sentence of 10 years in confinement under the U.S. military code. Bowman, who's been charged with assault, faces a maximum of six months.

All four also have been charged with making a false statement.

Withington noted that the judicial process against the soldiers is still in an early stage. The evidence must be reviewed at an Article 32 hearing, which is similar to a grand jury. After the hearing, an investigating officer will make a recommendation about whether to continue prosecution to the commanding general of the division, who'll decide on the next step.

"It could go to court-martial or it could be dismissed," Withington said.

The case is the Army's latest response to reports of abuse by U.S.-led coalition forces since military operations were launched last year. During the past four months, charges have been brought against seven military police officers for abusing Iraqi detainees at the Abu Ghraib prison.

In May, Spc. Jeremy Sivits, the first Abu Ghraib defendant, was demoted, expelled from the Army and sentenced to one year in prison. Sivits pleaded guilty to dereliction of duty and three other counts and admitted watching other MP's strip detainees and force them to simulate sex acts.

A month before Fadhil drowned, a battalion commander of an artillery battalion of the 4th Infantry Division pleaded guilty to aggravated assault after he threatened to kill a detainee who refused to answer questions.

Lt. Col. Allen B. West briefly became a cause celebre among Americans who felt he was protecting his soldiers' lives. Though West could have faced prison time, Maj. Gen. Raymond Odierno, the commander of the 4th Infantry Division, decided West should retire and pay a $5,000 fine.

Gwen Fitzgerald, a spokeswoman for the human rights group Amnesty International, said her organization welcomed the attention that the Army was paying to allegations of abuse. But she said she was troubled by the lack of transparency in the process of investigating and prosecuting abuse.

The cases "continue to dribble and drabble out," she said, "which leads one to wonder if the powers that be are being entirely honest."

———

(c) 2004, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story