McClatchy DC Logo

GOP senator: CIA analysts to blame for bad intelligence on Iraq | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

GOP senator: CIA analysts to blame for bad intelligence on Iraq

Jonathan S. Landay - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 07, 2004 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—A Senate committee has determined that CIA analysts were primarily to blame for flawed U.S. intelligence assessments of Iraq's banned weapons programs, a Republican member of the panel said Wednesday.

Sen. Saxby Chambliss of Georgia told Knight Ridder that a Senate Intelligence Committee's review found that CIA analysts had committed "wholesale mistakes" by improperly analyzing data or relying on faulty information.

Their defective judgments were passed to CIA Director George Tenet and fed into the key prewar intelligence assessment of Iraq's weapons program that was given to President Bush and Congress in October 2002, he said.

Chambliss declined to reveal details, saying the misjudgments would be set out in a long-awaited report that the committee is scheduled to release Friday.

SIGN UP

"There were a number of situations where unreasonable conclusions were reached," Chambliss said. "Some of it related to the information itself. The information was faulty. Some of it was good information that was not substantiated and turned out to be incorrect."

Chambliss said the report would absolve Bush and Tenet of accusations that they had misled the nation with allegations that Iraq had programs to manufacture weapons of mass destruction. U.S. inspectors have found no evidence of such programs.

"I would say it's a total vindication of any allegations that might ever have been made about what the administration did with the information," Chambliss said.

A Senate aide sought to temper Chambliss' remarks.

Speaking on condition of anonymity because the report hasn't been released, the aide said that while the findings take aim at CIA analysts, they also fault Tenet for the defective assessment of Iraq's outlawed weapons programs.

While "we found a lot of problems with the analysis itself ... in the end he (Tenet) is in charge," said the aide.

The report's publication is expected to unleash a fresh barrage of political finger-pointing over the failure of U.S. inspectors to uncover evidence that Iraq had been developing nuclear weapons and stockpiling chemical and biological weapons.

Even before its release, the report was being criticized by some for not examining the administration's use of other information sources, such as defectors supplied by Iraqi exile groups, against the advice of the CIA and other agencies.

Former CIA counterterrorism official Vincent Cannistraro said he feared the report would be an attempt by the Republican-led Congress to absolve top Bush administration officials who devised the strategy of invading Iraq.

"Clearly, there's enough criticism to go around," he said.

The October 2002 assessment, known as a National Intelligence Estimate, that was given to Bush and Congress said in part: "We judge that Iraq has continued its weapons of mass destruction (WMD) programs in defiance of UN resolutions and restrictions. Baghdad has chemical and biological weapons as well as missiles with ranges in excess of UN restrictions; if left unchecked, it probably will have a nuclear weapon during this decade."

The NIE, the conclusions of which the White House declassified last summer, was compiled by the National Intelligence Council, a board of senior analysts who report directly to Tenet.

The report "is going to detail a number of specific instances where, frankly, I don't think the director of central intelligence was well served by the analysts who did the work," Chambliss said.

"I think it will be pretty obvious to anybody who reads this report that Director Tenet received information from his analysts that was not based upon a set of facts that would allow somebody to reasonably conclude what was concluded by the analysts."

The committee and the CIA have been engaged in a contentious battle over how much of the report can be declassified.

A senior U.S. intelligence official said the CIA returned a draft of the report to the committee on July 4 from which 19 percent of the material had been redacted.

The Senate aide said the panel would continue pressing for further declassifications even after Friday's release.

———

(Knight Ridder Newspapers correspondent Warren P. Strobel contributed to this report.)

———

(c) 2004, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story